Allison 5sp: Front drive line stock ujoints question

alaskaman444

2001 GMC 2500HD Crewcab
Oct 28, 2013
Oak Harbor, WA
So I just replaced the front drive shaft ujoints on my 2001 GMC 2500HD Duramax 4X4. The t-case ujoint had already been replaced; the ujoint was held in with C clips. I quickly discovered that the front ujoint had no C clips. It wasnt until after I applied heat to the ujoint that I noticed the glue started coming out. So...stock GM ujoints are glued in; didn't know that. Heres the question: Are the glued in ujoints better?

Sent from my SCH-R760X using Tapatalk

03spoolindmax

Nov 9, 2011
Mi
Not all factory u joints on these trucks are glued in. Only the steel driveshafts are. Aluminum driveshafts have clips. I wouldn't say that they are better. It's just how gm does it from the factory and if you went to the dealer to have them replaced. They'd use u joints with clips to replace them. There's nothing wrong with the clips. As long as they are assembled correctly.

alaskaman444

2001 GMC 2500HD Crewcab
Oct 28, 2013
Oak Harbor, WA
Thanks! I went a head and installed the new ujoint with the C clips. When you say installed correctly can you be more specific please. Any help would be appreciated. Thanks!

03spoolindmax

Nov 9, 2011
Mi
Aftermarket u joints have 2 different style clips. The c clips go on the inside part of the yoke and clip to the cap. As long as those clip right in you shouldn't have any issues. The other style clips into the yoke on the top of the u joint caps. If those don't clip in all the way. They can come out and the cap can come out of the yoke.

alaskaman444

2001 GMC 2500HD Crewcab
Oct 28, 2013
Oak Harbor, WA
Ok. I'm in the clear. The weird part was having to use the clips on the front yoke where it attaches to the front diff. I'm used to dana axles and how they encasulate the cap; at least on my 97 Ford it was that way. Pretty sure I got it together right. Any suggestions on how to keep the yoke ears from narrowing up during the removal process?

03spoolindmax

Nov 9, 2011
Mi
Trust me you'll know if you put it together wrong the first time you use 4wd. About 5 years ago I didn't use the c clips to center the u joint in the yoke when putting a rear driveshaft back In an avalanche. Guy came back a few days later with a vibration. The caps started to work there way out of the yoke and stap. Ive tried a few different ways to remove the u joints from presses, hammer with a socket, & even sticking the joint in a vise and using a hammer to hit the yoke to pop the caps out. Just make sure old clips and glue are out, use lots of penetrating oil and clean all of the debri/rust from the caps before you try and push them threw the yoke.