fluid leak

Super10brss

Aug 18, 2013
Last week I pulled my trans (07 classic LBZ with Allison 1000 6 speed) to change out the torque converter seal... a LONG hard job for a $20 part. It went fairly smooth,torque converter had no groove to speak of, new seal went in great!

So now it is back together! but I have a NEW leak on drivers side front on trans pouring out???? I can't see the fluid coming out at idle, got my dad to give it some RPM's while I was under it to "try" and see where it was coming from with no luck. (does the trans build line pressure in park with RPM's??) The leak is like behind the oil filter up that high. It's not coming from the transfer case overflow, where is it coming from?

Weep hole out the front of the trans is dry, just drivers side.

PLEASE HELP ME! I am getting really down :spit:

IOWA LLY

Yes, its really me
Feb 23, 2007
Sounds like you damaged the seal on install.

Sent from my SM-N920V using Tapatalk

Super10brss

Aug 18, 2013
Is there fluid behind the "Engine Speed Sensor"? Seems like when I pulled the trans I didn't "see" that wire when I went to lower the trans down. (Oops!) I know its deep under the tunnel and hard to get to.

Fluid heavy in area penciled red below:
allison%201000_1.jpg

IOWA LLY

Yes, its really me
Feb 23, 2007
No. Your fluid is not coming from there. It reads off the converter. So it's dry.

IOWA LLY

Yes, its really me
Feb 23, 2007
How did you install the new seal? Did you use the proper tool?

Super10brss

Aug 18, 2013
I used a piece of 3 inch? pvc pipe to drive it in. :D Looked like it seated well... But I swear, fluid is not coming from the weep hole, the there is fluid up on the drivers side of the trans running down. I guess I could take a video after test drive....

Is there any way I can "test" being under the truck to see where the fluid is coming from? I would REALLY hate to pull the dang thing again....

Chain the truck up to something, put it in drive, hope for the best?

Budneeds2beers

Aka Mike Honcho....
Aug 25, 2016
Cali
Your talking about lifting the truck up and chaining it in place to crawl under it while its running??? Dude that is, such a great idea! Forget using a camera or hooking up a GoPro. Seeing it firsthand is better.:thumb:

TheBac

Why do I keep doing this?
Staff member
Apr 19, 2008
Mid Michigan
Cmon Reger, knock it off. This isnt DF.

O/P are you absolutely sure its trans fluid? Redrob is correct....add dye and use a light. Iowa is probably right...you may have messed up the new seal.

Super10brss

Aug 18, 2013
I know I sound totally ignorant here in typed text on this forum with installing the seal with a piece of PVC pipe and "testing" the truck while under it. Honestly I am not that stupid, I am desperate. I NEED my truck back. I am in the middle of a house remodel, materials to get, things to do. Every minute this FREAKIN truck is down is costing me time and money not to mention the 2 days I already have invested to change the seal once!

Video:
I washed it down last night for a new test today (Scrubbing bubbles is amazing, just saying) Tape AND white paper towel over center weep hole, truck parked nose down hill. I held the brake in 4x4 and built some RPM's. The aftermath:

[YOUTUBE]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1BS3RSqGVMM[/YOUTUBE]

Closer look at where the fluid is coming from
[YOUTUBE]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VVEJ-g4VoAw[/YOUTUBE]

First video: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1BS3RSqGVMM
second video: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VVEJ-g4VoAw

Chevy1925

don't know sh!t about IFS
Staff member
Oct 21, 2009
Phoenix Az
If you need the truck, you should probably take it to a shop and have it fixed correctly. Your penny pinching is currently costing you time and more ruined parts. Telling us you need the truck can't make us fix the issue or help fix it. We are not there to know what you did

That said, looks a lot like coolant to me.

Last edited:

rkf373

Dec 28, 2016
Sounds to me you need to pull tranny again, be careful when pulling out not to cause more damage. So you can see if you damage to seal or maybe torque converter wasn't seated when installed and seal got damaged. Just an option??

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro