First hook

x MadMAX DIESEL

<<<< No Horsepower
Dec 30, 2008
Lexington, Ky
Hopefully gonna start pulling workstock this year. Might get to test it out for the first time this weekend. I've got caltracs, 1.5 inch travel bump stops, front end strong enough and a few other little things to be ready so far. As of right now I don't have a weight bracket, so I may try to hook without one till I get one built. Is that something to be worried about, I realize that its easier to break stuff with out hanging weights but once or twice should be okay, right?
Gonna most likely use cooper sts's 305/70 on a 16x10 wheel. Tires have half tread on 2, and 3/4 on the other. Thinking I should use the 3/4 thread pair on the back If I don't have weight to hang? Or should I do it the other way around? I'm unsure of the the tire psi also.

As of now I don't have a lift pump hooked up so that and the lack of weight ballast should be my only real disadvantages. I guess I can throw weight in the rear of the cab, or the bed also... Any tips for a first timer like myself?? Also had the idea that I should just floor it instead of building boost off the line to keep from spinning too much without hung weights, yay or nay?

mudygmc

Dec 8, 2008
Buffalo MN
Tough call, trucks and tracks vary alot. I put weights in the passanger side floor when I couldn't run a bracket. I liked 60psi in rear and 25-30psi in front on most tracks. That is alot of tire for the kind of hp a non liftpump can make. Definetly stay in third. Talk to some guys at the pull see if the sled is one that pulls hard off the line. If it pulls easy don"t build boost. The truck should pull out fine. Building boost might blow the tires off and getting ground speed would be hard. Always watch the track and look for the hardest part. Most guys run straight up the middle. That makes ruts with soft soil in them. A couple feet to the side can make a big difference in how hard you plant the tires. Be careful. When you pull once you will definetly pull again. Either way give her hell. It is always a rush.

x MadMAX DIESEL

<<<< No Horsepower
Dec 30, 2008
Lexington, Ky
60 psi really? hmm I would think it would be less than that, but I what do I know. As far as track placement I'm going for the middle no matter what, don't have pulling experience and wanna keep it inbounds.. Does everyone use t/h? I can really feel the allylocker lock up when it does in D, versus not so much in T/H. Seems to pull harder on the street too in drive with the allylocker. Could just be me though

SmokeShow

Nov 30, 2006
Lawrenceburg, KY
tollesboro? It's a tight track normally.

at least make weight as best you can even if you can't hang it out front...

30psi front, 55psi rear

3rd gear and no idea on D vs. T/H given you are running the ally locker... doesn't it have a switch for manually locking up the TC? If so, and it's not already programmed to do so, I'd lock it as soon as you hit 2nd.

If it were me, I'd build some boost on the line.

x MadMAX DIESEL

<<<< No Horsepower
Dec 30, 2008
Lexington, Ky
Either Tollesboro or Cynthiana. I doubt I can make Tollesboro depending on the start time and class order. Low range 4x4 not high I assume? The allylocker has a manual UNlock switch, but mine doesn't work... Also lbzs can lock in 1st too or so I've heard, but I never got the software to program the allylocker either :mad: :(

Iceman56

Jan 19, 2009
Madison, SD
If your worried about breaking something don't build boost off the line. Just get the sled moving then nail it. At least for the first few times and get the feel for it. Then if that goes good start building a little boost at a time off the line. The only time I broke anything is when I tried to build to much boost off the line and came out way to hard.

ChevyDieselLLY

Whats A Budget???
Apr 1, 2008
MI, NC, now Hawaii
Don't have any advice other then everytime I pulled my truck would turn off at the end. Nothing ever broke its just how she was. If it happens to you just relax turn the key off and start her right back up

x MadMAX DIESEL

<<<< No Horsepower
Dec 30, 2008
Lexington, Ky
Yeah I thought about throwing it in neutral when I let off so it doesn't die and to keep from barking the charger. But my transmission bangs really bad if I put it in neutral costing and rev it up, so don't think I should try it with it already high rpm. Thanks though

JoshH

Daggum farm truck
Staff member
Vendor/Sponsor
Feb 14, 2007
Texas!!!
How is it easier to break stuff without hanging weight? I figured the opposite would be true.

wes06dmax

Feb 23, 2009
South Central Kentucky
Lower the front all the way down, 50 psi in the rear 25 in the front, at least hold the breaks long enough to see 10 lbs on the gauge and what works good for me is when I hooked to the sled I put it in 2nd with the tap shifter and then when I got to going good around the 100 ft mark I would change it to 3rd and then ride it on out good luck to ya I hope you do good

Iceman56

Jan 19, 2009
Madison, SD
How is it easier to break stuff without hanging weight? I figured the opposite would be true.

It could go either way, if you hang wieght your gonna keep the nose down and keep from having bad tow in. But that extra wieght also means more traction which is harder on everything.

jdlover1

437 Cubic Inches
Oct 4, 2006
chapanoke,nc
stock turbo i wouldnt build boost. Just plant it to the floor. First gear is low enough that it will start moving the sled and then spool up as soon as it hits 2nd gear.

AdaMax

Nov 26, 2010
Caldwell , Oh
you need to be in 4 low and you really are gonna need a lift pump . I saw the same style truck run out of fuel at about 220' without one .

SmokeShow

Nov 30, 2006
Lawrenceburg, KY
Your speed is obviously going to depend on sled setting and your power. There isn't some magic speed to try n hit. Just all you can get. Unless it's a stretched out track (long), I wouldn't expect much more than 3700rpm peak in 3rd. That should result in a reasonably competitive speed for the class. The top performers in the class might hit 30mph but that's modocking on a pulling track!

Yeah, 4 Low & 3rd gear.