Finally got my axles and spool done.

dmaxlover

Mar 17, 2007
WI
After many months of screwing around, finally got all the parts together.

Last edited:

JoshH

Daggum farm truck
Staff member
Vendor/Sponsor
Feb 14, 2007
Texas!!!
Did you make these yourself like you were talking about doing? What are the specs on the stuff?

dmaxlover

Mar 17, 2007
WI
I did all the everything but the splining. The axles are made out of 4340 with 36 splines, the spool and drive flanges are made from 4140.

dmaxlover

Mar 17, 2007
WI
These are one off parts. The axles could be made at a reasonable rate, but the cost of the full spool is just ridiculous. The material for the spool started out at 225 lbs, it's now about 75. I have over 1k invested in this project, and that is not counting any of my design or machine time, just material cost, splining, heat treat, and shot peen.

JOHNBOY

< Rocking the Big Single!
Aug 30, 2006
Saegertown, Pa
Looks good John.

I have the steel just need the lathe time to do mine.

How did you spline the spool? Broach or Wire EDM.

dmaxlover

Mar 17, 2007
WI
Looks good John.

I have the steel just need the lathe time to do mine.

How did you spline the spool? Broach or Wire EDM.

It was done with a single point broach. The spline was too deep to use a conventional broach, and wiring it out was way too expensive.

RENODMAX

Dead Wrong
Mar 4, 2008
You are a talented machinist! Nice work John. Anxious to see how they hold up.

C-ya

I definately agree. I am really impressed as I will probably never have the tools or capability to do that kind of stuff. Very impressive I cant say that enough you should be very pleased with yourself.

dmaxlover

Mar 17, 2007
WI
Well back to the drawing board, the axles didn't hold up like I thought they would. After one pull the passenger side yielded about 90 degs, and the driver side yielded 360 degs before it snapped clean, about 3" from the outer end.:mad: I will post a couple of pics later.

I have some idea's floating around in my head, but it's going to have to wait until the season is over. "Stock" size shafts aren't going to cut it, and the spindles can't be enlarged enough to accommodate a shaft that will go the distance. This project has become a learning process, and the next step is going to be a whole lot of work.