Fastest time on street radials ?

Noreaster

Jun 13, 2007
Cape Cod,MA
You can't compare anything to how slick that track was last week. 38* & it was shutdown for what an hour/hour & 1/2 cause of that crash.
Should be better Sat. with sun & mid 50s

IdahoRob

Jun 5, 2007
9.7's on MT ET Streets. Tire pressure is critical and may need to pull some power out depending on HP levels.

xcablb7

Feb 8, 2009
Fall River
justin still pulled low 1.7's last week but you are right track was ice cold, i want to stay with a regular tire i can drive daily on so i may have to play with the launch and tuning a bit

xcablb7

Feb 8, 2009
Fall River
I know I do, but radial tires cup if the pressure is too low, just wanted to see that it has worked for others. Guess we'll see tomorrow night

IdahoRob

Jun 5, 2007
Michelin A/T "e" rated tires on my street truck had a bunch 1.64-1.66's, cut 1.70's on mud tires. Sorry, I read the title and not the post before posting the first post.

McRat

Diesel Hotrodder
Aug 2, 2006
Norco CA
www.mcratracing.com
Track prep, how they handle the waterbox, and how stiff your rear is (don't say it!:D) are more important with our heavy trucks than tire selection is. I've went 1.7x on the factory tires, and 2.0x on 12" wide drag tires. Nothing makes BVD stains darker than struggling to get traction in a 3-ton kinetic energy weapon.

For safety, it is better to run race tires if you are above 650HP, since you don't get to chose the track conditions. While drag racing our trucks has an excellent safety record, most the crashes were due to insufficient traction between the 330' line and 1/8th mile.

Unlike most cars, our trucks can build a lot more power at 330' than off the line, and due to the expense of VHT, they often don't spray it past the 330', nor is there as much rubber laid down at many tracks.

The biggest danger comes with using DOT race tires on the street. They suck hard in the rain, handle like a boat, pickup nails like a magnet, and don't like sustained heavy loads. If you must run DOT race tires on the street, keep speeds down and pressure up. Both help reduce the heat, which is what causes sudden blowout disease.

I drove 20 miles back to the hotel from the Bandimere event in POURING rain on M&H DOT drag radials. I made it OK, but ... not bright. On the way home, Big Blue (our tow vehicle) lost a tire, and I put one of the M&H's on and it didn't make it 10 miles before it exploded. Something to think about.

xcablb7

Feb 8, 2009
Fall River
Thanks for the input guys, Pat your right about the vht, it is not used very far out at my local track. I don't want to put a roll bar in my truck so I'm not looking to get every last bit out of it, just a decent respectable time with it setup as close to how i drive it as possible. I have no clue how fast it's gonna be but with my old setup a log of 80-100 mph lasted 4.1 seconds, the other night i did one with the new setup it was 2.2 seconds

xcablb7

Feb 8, 2009
Fall River
both logs were from 70-110 i just compared 80-100 to rule out variables like how fast i applied throttle turbo spool etc.

JoshH

Daggum farm truck
Staff member
Vendor/Sponsor
Feb 14, 2007
Texas!!!
I have never had a set of drag radials or slicks on my truck. I ran my 11.13 @ 123.5 MPH on a set of no name E rated BFG A/T knock offs. I think that run was a 1.68 60' time. A couple of weekends ago my boss made a couple of high 10.7 passes at around 128 MPH in his '02 Duramax on a set of BFG KDW street tires. I think he had high 1.6 60' times as well.