Factory Retarded Cam Timing

Oct 16, 2008
Idaho
Not the greatest picture but this is the engine out of my street rod. I've never had the cam out, I got the engine bone stock. Looks like the timing is one tooth retarded, probably from the factory. Anyone ever seen this? The 2 cam teeth dots should go on either side of the crank tooth dot right?
3787B116-DE4E-4B19-8A26-AEC0437F9C72_zpsg7ofif8i.jpg

Oct 16, 2008
Idaho
Now the question is, how much power was that worth? Lol

Works out to roughly 4.2* retarded. Has to be worth some overall power. Not sure that I'll ever know how much since I'm changing so many things now.

You sure the timing gears have not been spun out of phase without being keyed?

That's not going to change where the dots line up.

Agreed but regardless, cam pin was intact and not threatening to shear.

Stingpuller

The Pusher Man
Jan 11, 2007
central Ohio
That's not good

Check the valves good. I'm surprised it didn't have piston to valve problems with stock Pistons. It must have a fair amount of clearance.

COMP461

Diesel Pro
Apr 29, 2008
Aledo Texas
on the factory car there is not enough room for it to be off that much . The Duramax is the tightest of all diesels on cam clearance . But retarding the cam would leave the intake event open longer and open the exhaust event latter. This would theoretically allow more air on the intake and the later opening of the exhaust would have less pulse

Oct 16, 2008
Idaho
on the factory car there is not enough room for it to be off that much . The Duramax is the tightest of all diesels on cam clearance . But retarding the cam would leave the intake event open longer and open the exhaust event latter. This would theoretically allow more air on the intake and the later opening of the exhaust would have less pulse

How does the intake event stay open longer with retarded cam timing? I guess I just assumed everything was happening later and that a full tooth would have just gave less intake fill time due to it happening late.

clrussell

pro-procrastinator
Sep 23, 2013
How does the intake event stay open longer with retarded cam timing? I guess I just assumed everything was happening later and that a full tooth would have just gave less intake fill time due to it happening late.

Take whatever he posted an ignore it...

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk