LLY: F*****G brake lines

CaptPhil

Sep 10, 2011
Delaware
Old LLY left me stranded for the first time tonight. Was rolling down some backroads headed to the boat to go fishing tomorrow morning and had a car pull out in front of me. Hard on the brakes and then foot to the floor and no brakes left. Fortunately I didn't crash.

Split the front line going forward from the module. Already ordered a full set of pre bent lines from Napa to pick up tomorrow. Just waiting on the tow truck now.
f5997eb859ed6060e86dcbb1bb1d7076.jpg
8adba32a504c0234ae9b53283a24521f.jpg

Sent from my SM-G900V using Tapatalk

Cougar281

Sep 11, 2006
St Louis, MO
That's pretty much where mine blew when I was doing an ABS bleed after replacing all four calipers. After that, ordered pre bent SS lines and replaced the master cylinder, do everything is new now.

Sent from my 2PZC5 using Tapatalk

joshd472

Oct 10, 2016
I bet that was a scary situation. My old Tacoma did that right in front of a dealer one day so o pulled in and had someone from work come get me. They called me 4 hours later to come get it. Invoice of $600 with a $100 diagnostic fee, this after I showed the tech which line had blown when I pulled in!! Lost my cool that day.

Whitetail Addict

Rockin' the stock tune
May 8, 2008
South Central Pennsylvania
I had one of the lines let loose in my LB7 in the same area of the truck. I was stopping at a red light. I grabbed the e-brake to stop it once I felt it go in the pedal. I was 60 miles from home. I drove it home. Tow/haul mode to slow it down when I needed and then hold the handle out and use the e-brake to stop it.

How's the fishing been down there in DE? I had relatives that used to offshore fish out of Indian River.

ikeG

Oughta Know Better
Apr 19, 2011
Western PA
www.facebook.com
I have had many trucks blow a line while doing an automated bleed after replacing a caliper. Just when you think you're ready to back the truck out finished....

CaptPhil

Sep 10, 2011
Delaware
I had one of the lines let loose in my LB7 in the same area of the truck. I was stopping at a red light. I grabbed the e-brake to stop it once I felt it go in the pedal. I was 60 miles from home. I drove it home. Tow/haul mode to slow it down when I needed and then hold the handle out and use the e-brake to stop it.

How's the fishing been down there in DE? I had relatives that used to offshore fish out of Indian River.
That's what I wound up doing, I drove back roads home, 37 miles. My insurance company couldn't get a tow truck to tow me across state lines to my house so I said screw it and went. Ran tow haul and would downshift to slow down. It actually wasn't that nerve wracking, just took it slow.

Killing tuna and mahi right now offshore. I missed the trip, was gonna mate on my cousins boat to help out with a charter.

Got the lines reserved at Napa last night, said they were in stock. Get there this morning, not in stock, earliest would be Tuesday. No one local carries them. Ordered them one day shipping, should have them Monday.

Got all the old lines out this morning, three broke with the tiniest pressure, so they were also on the way out. Dropped the tank down to get the rear hard line out. Should be fun getting them all back in.

CaptPhil

Sep 10, 2011
Delaware
Took five minutes, I didn't drop it all the way, just hung it on straps and moved it up against the drive shaft, I couldn't see how to get to the rear tube otherwise. Didn't even have to disconnect anything except the full line.

Remember, I don't have a fancy lift to work under, doing this shit on my back.

Chevy1925

don't know sh!t about IFS
Staff member
Oct 21, 2009
Phoenix Az
im so glad i dont live in a rust state, my factory lines still look brand new :D

But seriously glad you avoided that accident Phil. that could have been bad.

turbo_bu

Mar 27, 2007
Central IL
That's pretty much where mine blew when I was doing an ABS bleed after replacing all four calipers. After that, ordered pre bent SS lines and replaced the master cylinder, do everything is new now.

Sent from my 2PZC5 using Tapatalk

Cougar,

Where did you order your SS lines from? If I am going to replace them, might as well put in something that isn't gonna rust anymore.

onebaddmaxxx

Feb 22, 2009
Cecil County Md
Took five minutes, I didn't drop it all the way, just hung it on straps and moved it up against the drive shaft, I couldn't see how to get to the rear tube otherwise. Didn't even have to disconnect anything except the full line.

Remember, I don't have a fancy lift to work under, doing this shit on my back.

You were more than welcome to bring it here pal

I blew the line that goes back over the tank the night i put the trans in the white devil, but roman got it through there without dropping it. Lol
:hug:

CaptPhil

Sep 10, 2011
Delaware
I know man, appreciate that. I got it home and all the old lines out in about an hour and a half. New lines will be here tomorrow, putting them in will probably kick my ass.

Apr 15, 2015
dallas
Never thought about rusty brake lines failing. We don't have that problem in Texas lol. Glad you didn't wreck. No brakes suck. Wife lost an idler pully last week and she almost went off a cliff without power steering and no brakes.

CaptPhil

Sep 10, 2011
Delaware
They definitely fail, lol. There were at least five or six other spots on various lines that were very close to letting go.

Got my lines here, about to jump in and get after it.