excessive smoke

ryanelwood

Oct 29, 2013
WISCONSIN
Hello to everyone, I am new to this forum and new to the duramax diesel. As of yesterday 10-28-2013, I bought a 2004 duramax with the LB7. Unfortunately I am already a little concerned, this vehicle has had all eight injectors replaced once, than last week before I bought it it had 4 of them replaced. So now I bought it yesterday and hop in it this morning and notice that it has excessive smoke at idle, but once I get going down the road it clears up, as soon as I get back to an idle it starts to smoke again. I really hope that its not injectors....any help or input would be greatly appreciated (note, I bought from a home town dealer, not an actual GM dealer)

MAXX IT OUT

<<<IT WORKS
Mar 1, 2013
Des Moines, Iowa
Anything done to the truck? Check your oil and see if it smells like diesel or is over full. The best thing is to get your injector balance rate check via a diagnosis scanner.

ryanelwood

Oct 29, 2013
WISCONSIN
The smoke seems to be a blueish color. The only thing that has been done to the truck is an airraid intake and exhaust. I will check the oil in the morning. It has 4 new injectors, the other 4 were flow tested. What should I see when I hook up a scanner?

xtremebikr04

Jan 17, 2011
Vermont
Like said above id get balance rates checked and possibly a return rate check but in my experience with an lb7 that had the smoking you are describing it was bad injectors. Does it seem to start hard or crank over more than normal?

Ne-max

I like turtles
Nov 15, 2011
Lincoln, Ne
Hello to everyone, I am new to this forum and new to the duramax diesel. As of yesterday 10-28-2013, I bought a 2004 duramax with the LB7. Unfortunately I am already a little concerned, this vehicle has had all eight injectors replaced once, than last week before I bought it it had 4 of them replaced. So now I bought it yesterday and hop in it this morning and notice that it has excessive smoke at idle, but once I get going down the road it clears up, as soon as I get back to an idle it starts to smoke again. I really hope that its not injectors....any help or input would be greatly appreciated (note, I bought from a home town dealer, not an actual GM dealer)

Its hard to trust small dealers on crap like that. I would take it back down to them and have the work warrantied.

ryanelwood

Oct 29, 2013
WISCONSIN
Thats what I've heard but it literally just got 4 new ones and had the other 4 flow tested. I've got a buddy with a scanner so I'll get them checked tomorrow and go from their. It doesn't seem to start hard to me at least, but you got to understand where I'm coming from, my previous truck was a 1997 F350 7.3 powerstroke and now I'm in a 2004 duramax. But in the few days I've had it it seems to start really good.

ryanelwood

Oct 29, 2013
WISCONSIN
Thats no good, but I would rather have it be neither if I had a choice. No, even when its warm at an idle it still does it, but once I get going down the road it stops.

ryanelwood

Oct 29, 2013
WISCONSIN
Okay so I hooked up a scanner and had the balance checked, cylinders 2-8 were ranging anywhere from -1.4 up to 1.8, while cylinder 1 was -4.0 to -7.0. I am not real sure what it means or why it is doing it. Any help on what the scanner was telling me and how I should proceed would be greatly appreciated.

ryanelwood

Oct 29, 2013
WISCONSIN
I talked to the dealer, they will replace the rest of the injectors at no charge so now I will have 8 new ones. Thanks for all the advice it is greatly appreciated!

ryanelwood

Oct 29, 2013
WISCONSIN
I think they put bosch remans in but I am not sure. I will find out next time I speak to dealer. I completely agree, replacing 1 injector at a time would be a waste of time and money, initially they replaced the whole drivers side, but now not even one week later the passenger side needs replacing. If you guys have any advice on anything else that would be great!