Engine Stand's and mounting options for a Duramax build

1FastBrick

Dec 1, 2016
Junkyard
I have read that you are not supposed mount the engine stand to rear adapter plate on a fully dressed Duramax. So what other options are people using?

I have found 2 or 3 custom build solutions that people have done mounting off the sides of the block with custom built or modified stands.

I am the point where I need to reinstall the rear cover so I can put the oil pick up and pan on and I am looking for options. I still need a few miscellaneous things so its not ready to drop in yet.

Looking to see if there are any economical solutions people have come up with. I have been kicking a few Idea's around, I just haven't settled on anything yet.

pl_silverado

Jan 29, 2012
I've tried many different ones, was always left unsatisfied. Finally came across this one at a local industrial salvage place, ordered the side mount from longhorn fab and drilled it to fit the OTC. Think i'm about $750 into it.

Attachments

• IMG_9622.jpeg
    IMG_9622.jpeg
    389.5 KB · Views: 40

1FastBrick

Dec 1, 2016
Junkyard
I've tried many different ones, was always left unsatisfied. Finally came across this one at a local industrial salvage place, ordered the side mount from longhorn fab and drilled it to fit the OTC. Think i'm about $750 into it.
Curious, does that stand rotate with all the weight on it?

TheBac

Why do I keep doing this?
Staff member
Apr 19, 2008
Mid Michigan
Its been a minute, but I think I bought longer bolts, went thru the plate into the block.

Harshman

Apr 20, 2021
harshmanauto.com
I have machined and assembled a lot of short blocks for other shops. They always install the covers and oil pans themselves. So I bolt my stand to the back of the block. I will need to come up with another way soon as I will be doing some long blocks. I could do ass Tom says and take it off the stand, install the rear cover and put back on the stand. The mount to the side of the block is interesting.

1FastBrick

Dec 1, 2016
Junkyard
I have machined and assembled a lot of short blocks for other shops. They always install the covers and oil pans themselves. So I bolt my stand to the back of the block. I will need to come up with another way soon as I will be doing some long blocks. I could do ass Tom says and take it off the stand, install the rear cover and put back on the stand. The mount to the side of the block is interesting.
I currently have the Engine mounted to the rear of the block. You can not put the rear plate on till after the crank is installed. Now that I am basically finished with it, I have a few odds and ends that still need to be installed. I I may build another Duramax engine in the future but not right away. I mostly work on LS stuff and What I have works great for that. But I am not looking to spend $1500 on something that needs to be modified to work for the duramax. And No offense to Longhorn Fab, They build a nice looking stand but It is definitely out of my budget...

I have 2 of the Sunnex 8300 Style rotating engine stands that work for most everything I do. But I don't think it will hold a full dressed Duramax.

I currently have it on the older Harbor Freight 2000lb Stand That I bought Second hand. Look like this with out the stickers.

Harbor freight 2000Lb stand.jpg

TheBac

Why do I keep doing this?
Staff member
Apr 19, 2008
Mid Michigan
Nothing wrong with the HF stand. Thats what I used.

It does suck to have to use two different length bolts with a Dmax, but it ends up working out.

1FastBrick

Dec 1, 2016
Junkyard
Nothing wrong with the HF stand. Thats what I used.

It does suck to have to use two different length bolts with a Dmax, but it ends up working out.
It does the job... especially considering I bought it second hand in good condition for $75 But fully dressed, she is hard to turn even lubed up.

1FastBrick

Dec 1, 2016
Junkyard
That being said, I have seen some people use a Slack adjuster from a heavy trailer. You can by the adjuster and the Shaft for less than $100

1FastBrick

Dec 1, 2016
Junkyard
So far, this was my favorite upgrade. The tray underneath is not only good for catching drips but it also holds random stuff and keeps it out of my way. When the engine is finished, I will get coated.

I used some random angle Iron from the scrap bin to hold it in place.

1000002150.jpg

Reactions: dmax_ty

Bdsankey

Vendor
Vendor/Sponsor
Feb 1, 2018
Neenah, Wisconsin
I use this engine stand with some adapters purchased off eBay. This thing has been an absolute dream to work on engines, plus I can take them down to a bare block without having to take it off the stand since it mounts to the engine mount pads.

I used to use a single sided engine mount adapter and I didn't like how difficult it was/tippy it felt on my old engine stand. The stand was easily rated to handle the weight but it just felt sketchy when removing say a balancer bolt that an impact wouldn't get.

1710773641992.png

1FastBrick

Dec 1, 2016
Junkyard
Yes, Thats like the OTC version. I saw there was a guy on Ebay that had adapters but I don't see them for sale any more.

What did they look like?

1FastBrick

Dec 1, 2016
Junkyard
Pictures would be good. I recall the guy had a generic picture of a duramax motor sitting on the stand but no picture of the mounts.

1FastBrick

Dec 1, 2016
Junkyard
A plastic clothes washer tray works well for that use, too.

After you said something about the slack adjuster, I did some digging and found this: https://www.rme4x4.com/threads/diy-geared-rotating-engine-stand.119259/ What a great idea.

Just wanted to mention, I would never, ever, not even if I had no money and nothing else, use a three legged engine stand for a Duramax.
I wouldn't use a 3 legger either...

The Slack adjuster is like $18 on amazon, The splined shaft though range from around $40 on up depending on how long the shaft is.

pl_silverado

Jan 29, 2012
So after some more thinking and digging around looking at various home brew stands, The 6.0L crowd has some interesting designs....

Any Way here is a crud home brew version of that OTC 1735 and the Norco version of the same stand...

I'd probably have something like this too if I didn't stumble across that OTC for $450.

Reactions: 1FastBrick