LMM: engine balancing

CRAWLEN

Sep 29, 2017
This might be a stupid question, but cant find the info I need.
So coming from gasser engines, normally doing a an engine build with new crank rods piston ect it would all be balanced with the balancer,flywheel and clutch mainly only played with manuals.

So my question is since I'm putting a compstar crank, carillo rods and pistons. Do I need to get it balanced?

In the balancing, do they need the flex plate and tourque converter ? As this is the first engine I'm building that will use an auto. Asking this beacuse I already bought a billet flexplate to suit the engine when i wasnt planning on building. Would this be fine to us if I get it balanced with the crank or would I be better off getting a zero balance flex plate

PureHybrid

Isuzu Shakes IT
Feb 15, 2012
Central OH
The thin "flex plate" and converter do not need to be balanced. Now if you have billet parts on the back, send it with the rest of the rotating assembly.

Ne-max

I like turtles
Nov 15, 2011
Lincoln, Ne
You have external balancing where you use the flex plate and dampener to balance rotating assembly.
Internal balancing is where you balance it with the crank itself using slugs. Witch uses zero balance flex plate and dampener.

Chevy1925

don't know sh!t about IFS
Staff member
Oct 21, 2009
Phoenix Az
I would balance it. You will need the balancer and flex plate but no need for the converter. Decide if you want a different balancer now or not.

S Phinney

Aug 15, 2008
Quncy, Fl
The SoCal one you bought will work as internally and externally balanced. Remove the counterweight and it’s neutral.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk