Egr question

califxr

Califxr
Sep 23, 2015
Near Los Angeles
Ive been looking at utube videos doing research on egr options for my 2010 Lmm. I learned one thing, I dont want all the soot in my engine. I thought of one option that has t been addresses that I can find. Cant we just deactivate the actuator somehow. Make it stuck closed somehow. Forgive my ignorance as Im pretty new to this. I really dont understand. I was there was a drawing or something that shows how all this crap is laid out and how it works. Ps Ive done the pcv reroute.

PureHybrid

Isuzu Shakes IT
Feb 15, 2012
Central OH
Yes, you can just turn it all off, but under higher boost levels the exhaust back pressure will force the valve open. That's why guys run blocker plates at a minimum.

califxr

Califxr
Sep 23, 2015
Near Los Angeles
will installing a blocker plate cause an engine light. Will the truck still pass a smog inspection. Is there someone on this site in LA area I can talk to? Is there some diagrams that illistrate how the egr system works... I appreciate the help. I just want to learn about my truck and make it run correctly and last a long time

TROJAN366

Gold Rush
Jan 13, 2012
MASS
regardless of how you choose to have the egr "shut off" it will require some type of tuning or a finger sick at minimum.

PureHybrid

Isuzu Shakes IT
Feb 15, 2012
Central OH
Truck should pass a visual inspection, as the EGR system will still be in place.

x2 on the fingerstick. You can hide the wiring pretty easy, and will enable you to run a 100% stock tune.

D_R_C

Retired
Oct 31, 2011
Rocky Top, USA
Fingers stick not available for LMM and newer Duramax.
Thru tuning is the only option, and that option is getting to be slim pickens.

wilrob

Back in the Motherland
Sep 14, 2016
Dallas, TX
I have the EGR blocked, and tuned with EFI to prevent any codes. You would have to purposefully be looking for the blocker plate to know it was there. I plan to run my #1 tune which is optimized stock, and swap the DPF and CAT back on when I go through emissions again, not anticipating any problems.

wilrob

Back in the Motherland
Sep 14, 2016
Dallas, TX
You could always trim the tab off the blocker plate as well and it would be even harder to tell if it was blocked

Josh I noticed in your sig that you have an EGR delete and a blocker plate? Do you just have the blocker on the up-pipe?

Josh154

Sep 28, 2015
Sioux Falls SD
Oops I need to update that. I was just running a blocker plate off the up pipe riser before. When I did my new turbo I completely eliminated the egr cooler and did new up pipes and cold side pipe.

wilrob

Back in the Motherland
Sep 14, 2016
Dallas, TX
Ah gotcha. I thought somehow you found a way to mate the EGR cooler to an aftermarket intake pipe which would be sweet for visual emissions inspections