Help: EFILive Code $0537: Controller is locked with a custom key

9mmkungfu

Aug 29, 2011
Northern Virginia
Hello everyone,

I can't seem to flash to a new tune due to code $0537. Any ideas?

Backgound:

Truck: 2002 GMC 2500HD w/ LB7 & Allison 1000

I first flashed the truck in late 2011 with a DSP5 tune. I flashed the .tun file using v7.5 and it ran well except my A/C wouldn't turn on. Since I rarely drove the truck and didn't use A/C over the winter, I didn't notice until the summer of 2012.

In late 2012, I contacted my tuner and he informed me my particular ECU's OS version didn't play well with EFI Live, so I could a) get a single tune or b) have the dealer update my ECU's OS and he'd create a new DSP5 tune with the new OS.

I opted for option b) and my tuner sent me a new DSP5 tune based on the new OS. It worked well and I've been using the tune since.

And now, mid 2014, I had my tuner create a new DSP5 tune for my newest mods. He sent me the newer v8 file and when I attempted to flash, I received the code $0537 error.

DAVe3283

Heavy & Slow
Sep 3, 2009
Boise, ID, USA
Sounds like he locked the previous tune, and forgot to specify the unlock code in the new tune. You probably need to get that information from your tuner.

9mmkungfu

Aug 29, 2011
Northern Virginia
Thanks for the tips guys. I'm going to do some troubleshooting later involving flashing the stock tune and pulling a couple fuses.

This is with the V2 and not the Autocal.

BobbyBDirtyMax

US Marine Corps Retired
Feb 15, 2013
Madisonville, KY
Did you try using V8 and clicking on all the options before you attempted to full flash your stock tune back in? Assume lock may be faulty, Try additional strategies? I've had my LBZ do that and took a couple tries but finally full flashed stock tune back in and good from there

9mmkungfu

Aug 29, 2011
Northern Virginia
The ECM is at the tuner now and he said that it's locked with a custom key that is not his.

How is this possible? I am the only person to have loaded tunes on the truck (other than the dealer OS update) and I used his tunes both times.

Yellow Jacket

WannaBe Sled Puller
Feb 11, 2009
Waterloo, IA
The ECM is at the tuner now and he said that it's locked with a custom key that is not his.

How is this possible? I am the only person to have loaded tunes on the truck (other than the dealer OS update) and I used his tunes both times.

I have a similar situation with a 2002, I tuned it in 2012 and now he wants tune changed because he switched turbos, I cannot flash a tune or read the tune. And I didn't lock the ecm and he swears no one else ever connected anything to it.

He's going to take it to GM and have original stock tune and lastest OS put in it... Will I be able to read and flash it then?

9mmkungfu

Aug 29, 2011
Northern Virginia
I have a similar situation with a 2002, I tuned it in 2012 and now he wants tune changed because he switched turbos, I cannot flash a tune or read the tune. And I didn't lock the ecm and he swears no one else ever connected anything to it.

He's going to take it to GM and have original stock tune and lastest OS put in it... Will I be able to read and flash it then?

You should be fine if they can get the stock tune and latest OS on there.

However, my tuner says it will be $150 to unlock my ECM when the only thing I've ever done to the ECM was flash his tunes. I'm very confused here.