Efi live question motors lmm 07

Greenmachine07turd

May 7, 2020
Wood river il
So my truck has efi live with 5 tunes my question is if somehow I've fried my bcm and ecu is my efi live no longer usable I have the plug in deal are the tunes stored on this scanner looking machine or am I just fed even more trucks been down for almost year n 4 months started out had number 7 injector go out and went down hill from their

TheBac

Why do I keep doing this?
Staff member
Apr 19, 2008
Mid Michigan
What makes you assume your ECM and BCM are fried?

Guess you'd have to post a picture of the "scanner looking machine" so we'd know what you're talking about.

Did you ever fix the headgasket issue?

Reactions: Bdsankey

NC-smokinlmm

<<<Future tuna killer
May 29, 2011
At Da Beach
If you reprogram the ecu and bcm to your vin you should be fine. I’m sure he referring to an auto Cal Tom.

Last edited:

Greenmachine07turd

May 7, 2020
Wood river il
What makes you assume your ECM and BCM are fried?

Guess you'd have to post a picture of the "scanner looking machine" so we'd know what you're talking about.

Did you ever fix the headgasket issue?
The headgasket was replaced a while back that one cost me bout 4k now this one's costing me bout 6k the shop it's at says they have replaced both ecu and bcm but haven't told me how they plan to get my tunes back but that's y I asking if the efi live tool will have tunes save too it I'm hoping like hell it does but idk shit about all that

Attachments

• 20240102_155458.jpg
    20240102_155458.jpg
    234.3 KB · Views: 18

Lennydmaxguy

Just another diesel tech
Nov 8, 2023
Somewhere, USA :)
Like the other guys are saying, the replacement ECM will likely be flashed using GM's software at the shop when it's installed. Your Autocal should have the custom tunes on it. All you need to do is do a full flash when you get the truck back.

Bdsankey

Vendor
Vendor/Sponsor
Feb 1, 2018
Neenah, Wisconsin
To flash he also will need to buy another VIN license. Contrary to it's name, a VIN license actually is a module license and such it records the module serial number, regardless of VIN.

New module = new VIN license

Reactions: TheBac and 2004LB7

JoshH

Daggum farm truck
Staff member
Vendor/Sponsor
Feb 14, 2007
Texas!!!
There's a good chance you will have to buy new tunes if you changed the ECM. Like Brad said, the tuner is licensed to the ECM serial number which is unique to each ECM and cannot be changed. Then there is the fact that most tuners send out the AutoCal with 1 available VIN license slot, and only the tuner who is married to the AutoCal can change that. The AutoCal can be unlocked to add another VIN license slot, but once that is done, the tunes currently on there from Rob will no longer be available. There is also the small possibility that the file itself is also locked to the ECM serial number which means that even if you do have an open VIN license slot, you still may not be able to flash it. You can download the EFILive V8 software and check some of this information out to see what you can or can't do. I will also add that I have not seen many LMM ECM failures, and I would do some thorough diagnostics before replacing the stock ECM.

Greenmachine07turd

May 7, 2020
Wood river il
There's a good chance you will have to buy new tunes if you changed the ECM. Like Brad said, the tuner is licensed to the ECM serial number which is unique to each ECM and cannot be changed. Then there is the fact that most tuners send out the AutoCal with 1 available VIN license slot, and only the tuner who is married to the AutoCal can change that. The AutoCal can be unlocked to add another VIN license slot, but once that is done, the tunes currently on there from Rob will no longer be available. There is also the small possibility that the file itself is also locked to the ECM serial number which means that even if you do have an open VIN license slot, you still may not be able to flash it. You can download the EFILive V8 software and check some of this information out to see what you can or can't do. I will also add that I have not seen many LMM ECM failures, and I would do some thorough diagnostics before replacing the stock ECM.
Thing is I'm not the one working on it I tried everything I could had to send it to a shop and he said he was 110 per sure both the ecm and bcm where fried for a scanner wouldn't communicate with the truck at all he's tracing wiring still for he said he's still not getting spark but it's cranking witch is what it was doing for the longest

Ron Nielson

Oct 11, 2009
Berryton, KS
Is your truck at the only place in town where there is a diesel mechanic? Or auto diagnostician?

Just because you can't communicate with the ECM/BCM doesn't necessarily mean that they're bad. Your problem COULD BE the ECM or BCM but without proper diagnostic evaluation, you'll never know. Lots of people have had trucks that crank but don't start and their problem was a pinched, corroded, broken wire. And that's difficult to find, but easy to repair.

Reactions: Bdsankey

Greenmachine07turd

May 7, 2020
Wood river il
Is your truck at the only place in town where there is a diesel mechanic? Or auto diagnostician?

Just because you can't communicate with the ECM/BCM doesn't necessarily mean that they're bad. Your problem COULD BE the ECM or BCM but without proper diagnostic evaluation, you'll never know. Lots of people have had trucks that crank but don't start and their problem was a pinched, corroded, broken wire. And that's difficult to find, but easy to repair.
Definitely not many to choose between n my first ever diesel so I felt dumb and Had no Idea where to start

Greenmachine07turd

May 7, 2020
Wood river il
Update... so my truck was in the shop they changed the ecu and the bcm no luck so the shops had my truck for alil over 6 months or longer and still can't even communicate with the truck or crank it by the ignition any ideas or help is much appreciated

Bdsankey

Vendor
Vendor/Sponsor
Feb 1, 2018
Neenah, Wisconsin
Update... so my truck was in the shop they changed the ecu and the bcm no luck so the shops had my truck for alil over 6 months or longer and still can't even communicate with the truck or crank it by the ignition any ideas or help is much appreciated
Sounds like you need a better shop. 6 months and zero progress is a joke. They should’ve been able to check wire integrity etc in few days.

Greenmachine07turd

May 7, 2020
Wood river il
Sounds like you need a better shop. 6 months and zero progress is a joke. They should’ve been able to check wire integrity etc in few days.
I can't disagree the trucks been down for over a year n a half. What happened is I had an injector go out so I figured put witch one first thing it was number 7 witch is front right of motor witch has a 90' so I got the new one also got the pig tail for it said that commonly the plug itself would go bad cause of the turn so y not change. Well the 2 shops I talked to one said the new one didn't need programming so tried it nothing changed in my misfire damn so I ran separate wires from the ecu to the number 7 injector still no change well me not knowing much about diesels got to looking under the dash well for some stupid reason I unplugged my alarm slash remote start unknowingly that's what it was well idk if when I plugged it back inn idk if I mixed wires or anything like that cause stupidly I didn't mark them and every since then it stop cranking by the keys and won't communicate with Amy scanners and we completely removed the alarm wiring from the truck even no luck so again any ideas help thanks in advance

Cougar281

Sep 11, 2006
St Louis, MO
So they replaced the ECM and BCM and no change? Like Tom said, I would STRONGLY advise that you get the original ECM and BCM back... It sounds more like the canbus is open or shorted somewhere. I'm on the west side of the river and could take a look at the original ECM and BCM on the bench to see if they'll talk if you can get them and want.

Reactions: Greenmachine07turd