LLY: Easiest way to remove broken bolt?

Devon

broke my curse
May 2, 2010
Hinsdale ma
Ok so I sheeted the head off of the bolt that goes through one of the injector hold down :-( would I be able to just make a pilot hole and then use an easy out bit to extract the bolt? Pretty heated about this!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Chevy1925

don't know sh!t about IFS
Staff member
Oct 21, 2009
Phoenix Az
if you didnt crossthread the bolt you should be able to. go grab a left hand dirll bit though, if the bit catches just right it may unthread the whats left of the bolt without you needing the easy out

Devon

broke my curse
May 2, 2010
Hinsdale ma
Ok, I will try that. I didn't cross thread it. What happened was the hold down was bent up alittle I think leaving room between the bolt and hold down and thought the bolt could go deeper but I just sheered the head and alittle more off the bolt...

Devon

broke my curse
May 2, 2010
Hinsdale ma
Yup. Really dont even want to get into it. Can't justify spending big $$ for a injector replacement. Just have to deal with issues that come along.

JoshH

Daggum farm truck
Staff member
Vendor/Sponsor
Feb 14, 2007
Texas!!!
Is there any of the bolt sticking out of the head? If there is, you could weld a nut to it and just loosen it with a socket. Just make sure you get something to shield all the valve springs and stuff from the spatter.

ecc_33

Aug 10, 2006
Amanda, Ohio
Small nut and weld on the inside of the nut to broken bolt. Weld a flat washer that is larger in diameter to the first nut. Then ontop of the flat washer you can weld a bigger nut to that to loosen up with a wrench or a socket. (of course given enough room) Let nuts and washers cool before welding each item and before extracting

Devon

broke my curse
May 2, 2010
Hinsdale ma
How ever thick the hold down is 3/4" or whatever it is is how much broke off the bolt. So the hold down is still on there but just have to get the injector out enough to pull the hold down out or stick the bit or whatever into hold down and drill the bolt out that way?

JoshH

Daggum farm truck
Staff member
Vendor/Sponsor
Feb 14, 2007
Texas!!!
If it's sticking out that much, pull the injector and grab it with a pair of vice grips.

Devon

broke my curse
May 2, 2010
Hinsdale ma
I mean it's broken off inside the holddown, probably flush with the valve cover. So I will have to get the hold down off first. It may be sticking out enough to grab it.

Devon

broke my curse
May 2, 2010
Hinsdale ma
Right^^ I will get it, just have to keep at it. I wonder if a removal tool will make it easier? Since I have to get a new valve cover I think I may take the other injectors out of the passenger side head and have them all flow tested and honed out if the bodies are ok.

Burn Down

Hotrodder
Sep 14, 2008
Boise Idaho
Injector removal tool is a waste of money. I broke it on the one stuck injector I had... They should come out by hand just need to twist them a little. If one is a little stuck use a small pry bar between the head and the injector hold down. A little penetrating fluid will help free up the o-ring around the injector body as well.

juddski88

Freedom Diesel
Jul 1, 2008
Chesterfield, Mass.
hold down bolts are only supposed to be torqued to something like 22 ft-lbs....it's not much. they are easy to overtorque and if it's been done more than once by unknowing people, they'll snap.

Last edited:

Devon

broke my curse
May 2, 2010
Hinsdale ma
Tim, they were cranked down hard before I started messing with them. I admit I just torqued it to much and broke the bolt. Very dumb on my part. But that's what I was doing was prying between the hold down and head and still wouldn't come out! Can't believe it..

Burn Down

Hotrodder
Sep 14, 2008
Boise Idaho
Bet it looks like this when you get it out...
IMG_0090.jpg

You could build a slide hammer with a old injector line cap, just weld a nut that fits your slide hammer to the old fuel line cap. I put the fuel line back on and had to pry between the valve cover and the cap to get the injector to twist back & forth, while keeping up tension on the injector with the other prybar between the valve cover and the hold down. Lots of penetrating fluid and cussin, 4 hours later it came out... It's would be easier with an extra hand.

If you look close at the copper washer you will see a dark circle in the sealling face. That is a piece of carbon that had fallen into the bottom of the injector bore when the dealer changed that injector. The Tech didn't see it or was in to big a hurry to care. That allowed combustion gases up around the injector body and froze it in place. That injector had only been in for less than 3,000 miles.

Devon

broke my curse
May 2, 2010
Hinsdale ma
Damn that's dirty! Yeah this shit is getting to me bad, need the injector out.