LBZ: Early lock up

dylon333

Dec 24, 2017
So do you guys think there would be any issue with making an early lock up tune? Locking the converter in 3rd? Like Josh's tune but 3rd instead of second? But the truck is a daily driver truck. So wasn't sure how well the trans would hold up. Don't see how it could be an issue should be no different then tow haul I don't think but thought I'd ask before doing it

Chevy1925

don't know sh!t about IFS
Staff member
Oct 21, 2009
Phoenix Az
Won’t hurt a thing. Just comes down to if you like it enough. I don’t because you drop really low in rpm due to the stock shift points but those can be adjusted as well. I actually made mine lock up at 55mph instead of 50 cause I found myself in 5th gear a lot and hitting throttle to get around someone. Stock turbo had some lag there where there is 0 now when the converter is unlocked.

dylon333

Dec 24, 2017
Great. Yea I wondered how it would be with stock shift points, I like the way it pulls in lock up but get tired of running tow haul all the time and having it hold gears and down shift. Thanks for the help. Time to go see what I can do

DAVe3283

Heavy & Slow
Sep 3, 2009
Boise, ID, USA
Like James said, it really is a preference thing. I tried a 2nd gear lockup tune back in the day but didn't like it personally. I found it made the truck too twitchy around town. If I softened up the TBIQ (torque demand table on newer engines) it drove OK in town but was lazy on the highway.

I'll encourage you to try it and see what you think. It wasn't for me, but you might love it, as it does make throttle response crisper in town, which it sounds like what you want.

Where I'm at now is kind of a middle-ground. It remains unlocked in town until about 60-70% throttle, then it locks up and pulls hard. This works nicely on my big single, as it gets a chance to flare up and spool, then hit lockup. Took me a few iterations to get the exact throttle to MPH ratio right for lockup/unlock, but man does it drive nice now. (But again, I like a smooth, soft response at light throttle.)

S Phinney

Aug 15, 2008
Quncy, Fl
One thing you can do to have the fluid operation for non lockup to accommodate the flash needed for big chargers is use the WOT enable to accomplish at will lockup. For instance you don’t want the lockup for in town driving but would like it to lock and pull if you were making a light or passed someone you can have both by dropping wot enable and lowering the lockup parameters in wot. It works really well.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

IOWA LLY

Yes, its really me
Feb 23, 2007
One thing you can do to have the fluid operation for non lockup to accommodate the flash needed for big chargers is use the WOT enable to accomplish at will lockup. For instance you don’t want the lockup for in town driving but would like it to lock and pull if you were making a light or passed someone you can have both by dropping wot enable and lowering the lockup parameters in wot. It works really well.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

This^^^^ Exactly.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro