Duramax swapped Trailblazer SS...you might say why?...I say why not.

MattKatz

Custom Junkie
May 27, 2014
Dayton, Ohio
www.facebook.com
So I have been contemplating this build for a couple of years before I finally pulled the trigger earlier this year. Its mid process right now, but I'm hoping that last bits come together pretty quickly, so I figured I would make a little build thread on it. :thumb:

2007 Trailblazer SS with a mild LB7/Allison combo.
Should make for some fun when its done.
I will upload pics here shortly as I am uploading to a hosting site, but you can see them as well as my previous TBSS build at my FB link in my sig.

MarkBroviak

DMax Junkie
May 25, 2008
Danville Indiana
Should be a neat project and a lot of fun! Main question is...Are you just doing it for fun or to try and match/beat your current records with it? Either way it will be cool!:thumb:

Burn Down

Hotrodder
Sep 14, 2008
Boise Idaho
I was asking myself why, then I looked at your sig and thought F-it why not:D I have a 06' TBSS mind sharing the old build?

Awenta

Sep 28, 2014
CT
Awesome build. How's the Allison fit?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

MattKatz

Custom Junkie
May 27, 2014
Dayton, Ohio
www.facebook.com
Should be a neat project and a lot of fun! Main question is...Are you just doing it for fun or to try and match/beat your current records with it? Either way it will be cool!:thumb:
Not a chance this will beat the old record, at least not on the setup thats going in it right now. THis is more for me to have a fun street toy again that is unique, yet fully usable. :thumb:
I was asking myself why, then I looked at your sig and thought F-it why not:D I have a 06' TBSS mind sharing the old build?
That link in my Sig has the old Truck and videos as well, this is actually an entirely different truck I picked up to do the swap with. The TBSS I picked up as a roller from a buddy which had a rebuilt title from a previous front end accident, this way I didnt feel bad about cutting up YET ANOTHER TBSS for a project. The last truck was a full out race build, which from the start was built to break the long standing record for the platform, and as soon as I did, I ended up getting a fair offer for it, so I sold it off and picked this project up almost immediately following. It had been brewing in my head for a couple years, so I already had a short list game plan for it.
Awesome build. How's the Allison fit?
Well, we thought it was going to require a lot of cutting, banging and cussing....but in the end, I never cut a piece of the original tunnel out at all. We made the motor sit as close to the original driveline angle of the Truck it came out of, but in doing so sitting the motor as low as possible in the frame created a new set of problems with the oil pan. SO in the end I didnt have to cut the tunnel, but the front of the truck and the oil pan we used, thats a different story.

MattKatz

Custom Junkie
May 27, 2014
Dayton, Ohio
www.facebook.com
Any pictures of the current status?
Working on it....I had to resize a bunch of pics unless you guys like HUGE pics....I just started using amazon for hosting and this is new to me for their service so Im still learning it tonight. I should have some up shortly. Me getting pics up is going about as quick as the build is....And let me tell you....Its been going on for a while. :eek:

MattKatz

Custom Junkie
May 27, 2014
Dayton, Ohio
www.facebook.com
Lets see if I can get the party started with the pics...

Ill start right here posting up some pics from the beginning. I picked up the roughly 90K mile rebuilt titled TBSS out of Arkansas...so although its got a few miles, its clean as can be "rust wise". I did have to buy new front clip sheetmetal for the truck since it didn't have it all when I got it, and before I even got it home it was popped by a Semi on my Triple Axle Trailer that I transport with for a living. I was not a happy camper, but luckily the damage to both were mostly cosmetic and I knew it was going to get changed anyway, so I wasn't too entirely upset. The fenders and drivers door will be getting replaced as well as adding a TBSS Grill and Front bumper that were missing when I purchased it.

ALL PICS ARE HERE: http://imgur.com/a/fdB9R

Here is me picking it up.....Man it looks ugly like this.
zNiSndi.jpg

cl7ZBYu.jpg

Once I got it home, the parts ordering began.

100% Over Injectors
sUa10rq.jpg

Set of Good Gaskets, Studs, springs and PR's
EBqsnJ1.jpg

1pGK16O5uFViWMHxYEtxMcsRbaVk8sri_gD32BDq4ocpX92IB
teca1wTnUiVXvZVb84HxEWY206Kwx04kQzp8Z7MPXWweJxFPc
Got this trick Billet Turbo FLange from Donnie at StreetCarrFabrication
VQF7pjh.jpg

DsL9CrC.jpg

uATLj-CDhJTXx3hAF-csCDqLRKq-Nhu9LM7OHliNVD0eJxFPc

oD527KJMItp0JiH--Q0DU70zcb-aA2xG0vnxjI7735kpX92IB
Me8lp9DIWsH1M6hG3Y80yYCZF7sGOO0PktWRP9FBGwgeJxFPc

THjPukJEmNRAj4UmNdjo2xq81yqPRzcME3j5kiDrhf4pX92IB

Bought a complete running Donor truck from a buddy who had this for sale.....Its Ugly, but it was a complete running truck that was priced right.
Got the motor pulled out and ready to do a preliminary test fit to see how hard this would be. Its sitting high and on the front crossmember, but we can see that its definitely gonna go in here.....some way, somehow.
eQYTQBd.jpg

5SZtqnj.jpg

v0GzpQP.jpg

DVm2Ses0zUdD2cJcw6O2u_J0zBGsRfrpYTMUZ7esxh8eJxFPc

DfLNRCIfTGgPr9jQMP-JMu1tF8yys-v8bH3U9XjU8hkeJxFPc
Still having parts come in.....and ideas are stirring around. I need a neat little intake for this project.
K4lOASi.jpg

VRc2b7R.jpg

JqwjDmn.jpg

mmP0ZJ5.jpg

FAO1SSr.jpg

4BeHaFd4ZySb-2IoifIzUGUmXSM5SgRiCwYB4ubcMgAeJxFPc

PchCuM91wJueoH3CjrZXJhkIcLlVi4B1YFnXDe38Sk4eJxFPc

AfyrZCQIP0_ju5Rb5yb5fN8zLpHdPahV4UFEqRYm3MApX92IB
JZf1t3QlcqxNYmGFpitBwAsrReEhVSdYpMxAjgHBZEUeJxFPc
Getting the Bay stripped down of anything it doesnt need in the build process.
v3LJM4M.jpg

Back to that mention of intake idea....so I started thinking and scratching down an idea. I just hate the "Clamshell" intakes, since they really are there for the top mount turbo....which I am not going to use....so we need something more "fitting" for the swap.

kDHWS8mi37m0KBe44zoH-efp1h1aByqotQPgFlMPQ_EeJxFPc

JZn2TBHwAet9QdMv30aO_laERLWeo1PjORcKZka7qeEeJxFPc

kGbzJFZxHv_3BzQyc8Z-cV60lYCMAE8EqdYoaRl7ucUeJxFPc

s_L8kKupcPoQsTA7N09h9YDiVopURyFstHP4zbnLIycpX92IB

Tc2-jFrkT7DEZsFuCumw99IZ0hTvlhsGat-htcGUANopX92IB

Along with needing a fitting intake for the project, I think it needs a hood I saw on a rendering to come to fruition....Its only fitting a Dmax TBSS have a HD Inspired hood right?
iOqqMeS.jpg

aZAYa4Y.jpg

YNguVC5aqMPbab2PPqDr84imKpX8w5wajCMuQW43Po0eJxFPc

EDk9S5S_usOXD-pgN32-S6fgs_ZeSDWZ_eGJfbrZl5MpX92IB
geh6DK-i0lanmTE4KUpJ4f5hjlmmFvJkqRCKyumtFeQeJxFPc

YQ3r4bP6JfxzhDjTjVw77GeAxntlpUO741sSwiP3QC4pX92IB
p43yIhMAptP_H2RIu5RLvissPqU5YyOaDGif4u4ksbEeJxFPc

O6fjzdnifQ4VssdS6mSfEfDoIr96VyVPYuuUEVgIpa4pX92IB

Parts still steadily rolling in...
qDfdsju.jpg

0Mab74Xqv_Z_cIUpID16Psr8yDR90yr6BR_07FzM6xEpX92IB
TDcOOKbmqt6i0Tc5txFK7ix3hP1EgPLGYdpb9qDLZYMeJxFPc
Since we know the motor will fit, we start trimming out where we know there is interference to start mocking up mounts for the swap. Again, its ugly, but it'll work. Trust me, Ill clean all this up after its all together.

7zJzXq3.jpg

RBD8vi3rqrbz7xWxfI_UuBLgsZF9QPxRKXxXokT7Z5geJxFPc
PvL1Gws.jpg

gshrAue.jpg

zCSwcuseVdNjEmDwbXr0DjcwrIssg7AUwYt8bNVHifQpX92IB
l59JTfuCBpam5XUj6O31kdvoEfh6t8O6b_X9Ulz6xdceJxFPc

BRcY7yJ0Mhoc53jhMku835Oj2z7w1p1l_4ivVr2uAbspX92IB

xpspUI2z2gov7VZfFlEEaV-ZYsAxT_HvNKtmDDPnRq4pX92IB
Lb3mQgYqXydFkoUvB2HweMJKixsxgNEWD_P-KxfLUbceJxFPc

S_qAkxfsa7cVmHoNB1HstL7XAOKCOTkHLeDa6bq9ODYpX92IB

Here I'm starting to figure out what Ill use to make mounts with....I talked to Prothane about what I'm building and they suggest a set of bushings for me to use. After I figure out the bushings, I try to cut some plates out myself and wasn't happy with them, so we had them CNC Plasma cut....Looked much better. Once I mocked up the engine location, we used the factory frame mounts and some hand cut engine plates to temporarily mock up the location so we can fab the rest of the mount around it.
diTBjUH.jpg

P5q1i3K.jpg

46weNmu.jpg

4BxuoKy.jpg

V4JeTMH.jpg

4M-EnanUPXGLaaukmsIRFk7fpk6owWf6ZLKz6PBssY8eJxFPc
Now about that intake idea I spoke about....Whats this F@wkery about?
I'm gonna modify a Holley LS High Ram manifold to fit the Dmax, so it'll look kind of like a Gas intake, just to add a bit of confusion when people look under the hood.
ARBwZmx.jpg

mpLGtrwnRY--ru3qBR7hapaKEiUoUJl8CwVgjgMSL0UeJxFPc

l0GpaS9MJFRIi5o9Ab_5APjAkS9AtolAecnw0J7ZdYceJxFPc

XpZUjvYMBpQBPYun4JFDdRT54GqYECx3azkoNwkoIaopX92IB

Motor fit in pretty well....I was happy. WE matched as closely as we could, the angle of how it sat in the original truck frame, roughly a 6-7* pitch....and I was under the impression a motor was in the frame leveled up....but not even close.
Vxk8m6i.jpg

f4qp_tm2icPQs3b-xnU9u6AaeyCeIjFqCGVs8BCfwpgeJxFPc

YnhzXNk-RFfinDw4TUz92cWsb3XtWh0UmyWY7e7JD4MeJxFPc
As you can see, the trans fitment is tight.....But required nothing more than some love taps in one area with a BFH.

HRvYLtV.jpg

Now I've moved on to Intercooler and Turbo placement. I think I went a bit overboard on the size of the IC. Oopsie....Nothing a grinder, welder and some metal wont fix.

ELHrEjP.jpg

ISIqvRC.jpg

4luI2_lkZuaxd45Io1QEmZw1Z-xPykJjXnrN9ALoYbMeJxFPc

gTKpNAcsZ0wXXiX-37z0klRIMK2HbO8C04KqiG5CtdceJxFPc

nI9SWw8uObgoLD9aPmzpVVeZTFjQfxQRgeEOnuhmcOwpX92IB

eWzQJsi4cEtrb_D_DJt9sl2HLwIjCR-YSCcFT8I8XoopX92IB
Starting to run out of room with the AC Condenser and Radiator in their approximate location. I sure hope I can squeeze my cold side piping in there.

5Y61DVe.jpg
PqaOKd7vrf-Aiu7bV4r8wIlQWJopqYGptTsLlsjvHnYeJxFPc

w6r3WJlJDeLwlq-8BIZ1RCcnBnEVFgpUTQZPOg5tlSApX92IB

I got this neat little Maven Turbo mount that welds directly to tube and also doubles as a drain flange. Trick little part from Burnout2Turnout (B2T) and their "Boost Wayne" Series mounts.
-K-CFHpGVKwUlRk2gPNsg85KcHG_wIDqigdZV4jkKEAeJxFPc

MxJKAHB.jpg
u79lXj2IRuZBnr9d0_LAh7dbHf65gnjXNEPJj6gQUkweJxFPc

Now that brings us to the biggest hurdle as of now....the oil pan. This has been fun, but as you can see, I had to cut a lot off losing what I calculated to be nearly 200 sq. in. of volume when it was said and done. I did my best to use the space I had and put the volume back....EVErYWHErE. I measured once...and cut like....10 times. I'm not sure that's how its supposed to be done, but I think I got it to work.
1Xo3mSS.jpg

2WR5zGN.jpg

lX2OZcz.jpg

Now back to that bastard oil pan....I had to come up with a way to add that volume back right....so wide and shallow it is, and really, its too wide to get in the truck right now without pulling the motor or putting it on the motor prior to installing, so I am still up in the air on how I will attack this small little SNAFU.
x8Mj0YyXOvKAFwGvkugG5iEmr3Q2Dirfz-ymRYvNuRseJxFPc
gh8jznA.jpg

7YAdT0Z.jpg

fkfN7aw.jpg

UiZlDjp.jpg

XlKd04T.jpg

i2lDzXC.jpg

u0b4DBLNe2MK8bSrxQFA9dI3v6HpGLoMvAJkcecldskeJxFPc

WWt5b7hc2myicyaCuVgpMbd66VyZFsBgZ8xZB-uhJU4eJxFPc

fECy--J68dcWY8gyRb7uK-HdB93-BdwkH31uia3qPKQeJxFPc
So I had to scale the truck to get a rough weight of it with all the parts on it. Since it wasn't quite at a finished place...I loaded it up with parts and got a weight....Did I mention we are putting this on a full air ride setup....because we are. I wasn't sure I had enough weight on the front...so I stood my fat ass on the front frame horns to leverage the weight towards the front.....Still not to bad I don't think.
0TqAcA9.jpg

vAxur9C.jpg

M-D84akPX8pjnbbvQs4p03uwj2w2Uxq81AXBNofkaaEeJxFPc

Qfj6NEzjBuCGNkYNNz0wR-4ZVK-IyUHStzYgjhpx9CkeJxFPc

FRKdTrcgg75jNEfYJ9SmbX8vmHD48maDqHiojhJfx5QeJxFPc

Oh, and remember my chicken scratch drawing and the CAD Rendering for the intake runner.....Here's one rough cut, Still waiting on the other one to be finished up.
zEl_i3dVZLSO18Utv2tnmMv0ldft6HxHWDOyuWVzMxoeJxFPc

V3FTlWqcxKmdfs2hHhyO0vJUlpkdXv_je0Ib0N3HnBgpX92IB

This pretty much is where I sit as of today with this build. Lots in process, lots done, but a lot to do still. I hope to have it running before Christmas, but time easily gets away from you on projects no matter how hard we try to get them done.

Last edited by a moderator:

minerigger

Dec 24, 2013
Casper, WY
Love the intake idea, that is gonna look cool. And the oil pan is interesting to say the least. Cudos on all that custom work