Duramax Street Rod

Oct 16, 2008
Idaho
Thanks guys.

I wouldn't be opposed to building more sets but I don't think it's possible to do it and keep cost down. The 1/2" top plates alone were $250 plus the ride then I have 6ish hours in milling them. Obviously, it would go faster 2nd time around but there would still be a few hours in it. Not sure anyone wants to pay $400+ for valve covers.

Big Block 88

Multiple choice muscle
Nov 3, 2008
Kansas when I am home
Thanks guys.

I wouldn't be opposed to building more sets but I don't think it's possible to do it and keep cost down. The 1/2" top plates alone were $250 plus the ride then I have 6ish hours in milling them. Obviously, it would go faster 2nd time around but there would still be a few hours in it. Not sure anyone wants to pay $400+ for valve covers.

Man I sure would, but in a truck it would be pointless almost you can barely see my valve covers. Plus all the oil and grease in my engine compartment

Maybe you should do a gauging interest thread on them? Some of these high horse beauty queens in here would maybe like them?

Oct 16, 2008
Idaho
Cloud 9

Well after 3 years, it runs. I honestly can't believe it. I ended up building my own harness from the ecm to bale connectors. Something that seemed impossible to someone who hates wiring as badly as I do. Cranked it today with a manual oil pressure gauge. No pressure. Sweet. Borderline suicide mode. Planned on pulling the engine tomorrow to see if I left the shaft nut off or something else went wrong. Decided to pull the lines from my external oil filter and pour oil in hoping the pump was air locked. After an hour of filling and pressurizing with a little shop air. It finally burps and starts spewing oil while cranking. Cool, pressure comes up after re-installing lines. Tune loaded, it kicks a couple crank/ cam sensor codes, clear them and realize the sensors weren't clicked in, then it fires like it had a thousand times before in the truck it came out of. It's a feeling I can't describe, can't wipe this smile off my face with a shovel. Video to come when I can load on my laptop. Hope everyone had a Friday as good as mine. :)

Hot COCOAL

May the farce be with you
Jun 9, 2012
Congratulations Levi, good for you man:thumb:

Way to keep at it...

I lol'ed when I read "borderline suicide mode" cuz I think we've all had them at one point or another from working on a rig...:hello:

Hey, btw, got your turbo blanket in the mail and on the truck

:) :thumb::thumb::thumb::)
:D

Really nice product Levi, better than what I expected:woott:

I was way too excited to put it on and didn't take any pics of it, but I'll put up a pic when I'm completely done with my turbo swap and fired the truck up ;)

Oct 16, 2008
Idaho
Well I never got around to putting the first startup video on my laptop. Been busy putting in the trans, brakes, driveline and drive flanges in. Fixed a few small leaks and took it out for the first drive last night with no hood or grille. It drives, rides, stops about as good as I could have hoped for. I really didn't have to "put up" with anything. It was pretty short on power last night which I fixed today with some ECT and MAF limiting tables. Trans only has 2nd gear since I apparently need to work on the wiring but it's still a riot to drive around the neighborhood. Definitely isn't going to take much power to motivate. Still on stockish tune.

Not sure how to embed so I'll just link the vids. Idle vid gives you decent sound. The takeoff was pretty windy.

Idle Video

http://youtu.be/LwfwX1DO8RA

Takeoff Video

http://youtu.be/IMYA9Cf3Ihs

Last edited:

DAVe3283

Heavy & Slow
Sep 3, 2009
Boise, ID, USA
Oh man, that's got to be exciting driving it for the first time!

When you get the chance, you gotta take some more video. It is looking great!