Duramax Squarebody “shift range inhibit”

Sutton

May 17, 2023
Mesa Arizona
I bought a perfectly running and driving 2001 duramax with an Allison and dropped it into my squarebody using a dmax swap.com engine and transmission standalone. The transmission will not engage in reverse, and will only engage in drive for a short few seconds before disengaging.

The transmission has great line pressure and NO CODES.

I have been diagnosing for over a month and have no luck. I have had two different NSBU switches on it. I also had a scanner hooked up to it to read ISS, turbine, and OSS to make sure they’re reading properly.

I have checked the main harness connector to verify there is no fluid in it and that it is cleaned out. I have ohm tested all the solenoids. I have checked for proper voltage and grounds where necessary.

I have tried everything I can think of and have read every forum known to man on the issue to try and figure it out.

What do I try next??

Sutton

May 17, 2023
Mesa Arizona
And the last thing, if I jack the rear tires off the ground and put it into drive, it will stay in drive unless I touch the brake, which will cause it to disengage back into neutral.

If I put it in drive with the tires off the ground and touch the gas pedal before ever pushing the brake it will stay in drive when I push the brake. If it stays in drive and I give it a decent amount of rpm it will never shift but it will throw a code of P0731

2004LB7

Dec 15, 2010
Norcal
I'm no Allison expert but I'm going to guess one of the solenoids are not moving freely. Someone else here should know which one

Sutton

May 17, 2023
Mesa Arizona
Thank you for the quick response. I did provide power to the A and B solenoid and was able hear them clicking, but that doesn’t necessarily mean they were moving through the full stroke.

2004LB7

Dec 15, 2010
Norcal
Or that they where fully returning to their closed position when power was removed

Sutton

May 17, 2023
Mesa Arizona
Yes, it is a 4wd. It also has an np205. It does the same thing regardless of if the t case is in high, low, or neutral, including not going into reverse at all.

JoshH

Daggum farm truck
Staff member
Vendor/Sponsor
Feb 14, 2007
Texas!!!
What are you using to check line pressure and codes? It sounds similar to what I've seen them do when they are low on fluid. You need to get a scan tool and monitor pressure switch status when shifting R-N-D and see if things in the valve body are working properly.

Sutton

May 17, 2023
Mesa Arizona
I have a 300 psi mechanical guage in the pressure port next to the spin on filter. When it is in drive and stays in drive with the rear tires off the ground I see over 200 psi when given throttle. I’ve pulled codes with a CTS3 module as well as a a generic code reader off Amazon.

I will try the scan tool pressure switch reading and see what I can find.

JoshH

Daggum farm truck
Staff member
Vendor/Sponsor
Feb 14, 2007
Texas!!!
I have a 300 psi mechanical guage in the pressure port next to the spin on filter. When it is in drive and stays in drive with the rear tires off the ground I see over 200 psi when given throttle. I’ve pulled codes with a CTS3 module as well as a a generic code reader off Amazon.

I will try the scan tool pressure switch reading and see what I can find.
I know Edge won't pull TCM codes. It's likely a cheap code reader won't either.

Reactions: wydopenLb7

Sutton

May 17, 2023
Mesa Arizona
I had no luck being able to see the pressure switch with the scanner that I had. What scanners are you guys using to monitor the pressure switch status?

Nate’s Dmax

Dec 11, 2020
It sounds similar to what I've seen them do when they are low on fluid.
This is exactly my thoughts that came to me within the first few lines i read of your question. Do you have the fluid up to the correct mark on dipstick with engine running. The engine must be running When checking level.

Sutton

May 17, 2023
Mesa Arizona
Yes, the fluid level is dead on. With the truck running, I remove the dipstick, wipe it off, put it back in for a second or two, and pull it back out. It is at the perfect level every time.