Question: Dsp2

SmokeShow

Nov 30, 2006
Lawrenceburg, KY
Does DSP2 work the same as DSP5 in that the second tune is the same as the main tune except a select few of the tables are changed from one tune to the other?

What kind of switch can be used to control the DSP2? Does the switch simply need to provide ground to a wire(s) ran to the ECM or what?

C-ya

LarryJewell

Back with his honey :)
Jan 21, 2007
San Angelo
same principal as the dsp5, I believe you actually get a few extra tables that isn't available to the dsp5. SoCal sells the dsp2 switch, I'm not sure what it would take to make your own, the particulars may be found within any efi tune in the help section under dsp upgrades.

There are 2 wires on the dsp 2 switch, one goes to a plug on the ecm in a specified pin location and the other is a ground that can be run to an ecm plug, or just ground to the body.

sweetdiesel

That's better
Aug 6, 2006
Thailand
I made my own Im sure its just a SPST switch get at any automotive store Mitch
Im sure guy would confirm that as mine has been in for so long I forget

SmokeShow

Nov 30, 2006
Lawrenceburg, KY
Why dont you want to run the dsp5?

I just don't like how different the tunes feel in the DSP tune versus when they are their own individual tune. For instance, my second tune on the DSP5 is a well known tune by a known good tuner and several have ran it by itself, including me, and had excellent results. Drives like stock til you get in it and then it's haulin the mass. It just doesn't feel that way in the DSP5 tune. The shifting is a little funny and it just ain't the same.

PLUS, I feel like the switching between a race tune and an economy tune virtually instantly reaks havoc on the Allison.

PLUS, I'm done hot rodding the street truck. I'll have a play toy for that soon and just need a nice reliable truck with moderate power occasionally and a nice everyday tow/economy tune for daily commutes. So I only need two tunes and they likely won't be a lot different so the DSP2 may suite my needs. I might not get a different switch but rather just use my DSP5 switch and only have two different tunes programmed into it. The other tune "slots" will either be empty or exactly the same as the other "slots" so they'll be the same. Might leave the anti-theft tune in it too.

Shoo, that's too much typing. :eek:

LarryJewell

Jan 21, 2007
San Angelo
I just don't like how different the tunes feel in the DSP tune versus when they are their own individual tune. For instance, my second tune on the DSP5 is a well known tune by a known good tuner and several have ran it by itself, including me, and had excellent results. Drives like stock til you get in it and then it's haulin the mass. It just doesn't feel that way in the DSP5 tune. The shifting is a little funny and it just ain't the same.

have you tried making that known tune thats good as your base tune, then making your alternate tunes on the dsp switch. The reason that the known tune feels/acts differently than it did as a single tune is because its not the same as it was once you put it on the dsp#2 switch. It now only has 9-10 tables that were from the good tune and rely's on your base tune for most of its parameters.

SmokeShow

Nov 30, 2006
Lawrenceburg, KY
have you tried making that known tune thats good as your base tune, then making your alternate tunes on the dsp switch. The reason that the known tune feels/acts differently than it did as a single tune is because its not the same as it was once you put it on the dsp#2 switch. It now only has 9-10 tables that were from the good tune and rely's on your base tune for most of its parameters.

Yeah, I know. That's why I don't like it. Tunes just aren't quite as good. Perhaps I'm just a one-tune type guy. ;)

LarryJewell

Jan 21, 2007
San Angelo
try making the good one your base tune and make the dsp tune your tow/street tune, or send it to me, i'll convert it for you and put whatever your want on the dsp side

SmokeShow

Nov 30, 2006
Lawrenceburg, KY
That's how my DSP5 is now...

Main Tune = DPV6
DSP1 = DP120
DSP2 = Tow/Econ Tune
DSP3 = Junk Tune that lopes and smokes and runs like poo :rofl:
DSP4 = Nothing. ;)

the DPV6, DP120 and Tow/Econ are all great tunes by themselves but not so much in the DSP5 tune. :( Like I posted previously, I think I'm done hot rodding the DD so gonna get away from the DPV6 even though it is a sweet running tune. DP120 is plenty powerful enough for most any DD applications. I haven't really used the tow/econ tune much but would like to. 99% of the time, the DSP5 switch is on the DP120 tune and the trans has learned to shift it pretty well now. It's still a cleaner tune in it's native, single tune form.

I'll probably build me a DSP5 tune that has the DP120 tune for the Main/Base tune and then maybe a couple of towing and econ tunes. I'll just make sure the only changes to the tow/econ tunes are in the tables that can be switched in the DSP tune so they should still, in theory, function exactly like the native tune. Then all should be well with the world. :D

Thanks for the help Larry. :beer:

C-ya

LarryJewell

Jan 21, 2007
San Angelo

PLUS, I feel like the switching between a race tune and an economy tune virtually instantly reaks havoc on the Allison.

PLUS, I'm done hot rodding the street truck. I'll have a play toy for that soon and just need a nice reliable truck with moderate power occasionally and a nice everyday tow/economy tune for daily commutes. So I only need two tunes and they likely won't be a lot different so the DSP2 may suite my needs. I might not get a different switch but rather just use my DSP5 switch and only have two different tunes programmed into it. The other tune "slots" will either be empty or exactly the same as the other "slots" so they'll be the same. Might leave the anti-theft tune in it too.

Mitch, I havent run a single tune since the dsp5 was available.....

Do you fell like a good tune feels better as a single that it does as the Base tune of a dsp operating system., What I'm getting at, say the normal McRat tune used as the basis of a dsp operating system, it should be the same as the Mcrat as a single tune.

Or I might need to go back and try out a single tune again :confused:, its just the switch has me addicted, even though I leave it in one setting for 97% of my driving.

SmokeShow

Nov 30, 2006
Lawrenceburg, KY
Yes, aside fromt he trans trying to learn how to shift the race tune versus the lower power tune, the race tune (used as the base tune) feels the same in the DSP tune as it does as a regular single tune. It's just all the tunes in the DSP "slots" that are the ones that actually used the most that don't feel the same.

C-ya

LarryJewell

Jan 21, 2007
San Angelo
Yes, aside fromt he trans trying to learn how to shift the race tune versus the lower power tune, the race tune (used as the base tune) feels the same in the DSP tune as it does as a regular single tune. It's just all the tunes in the DSP "slots" that are the ones that actually used the most that don't feel the same.

C-ya

on mine, my favorites are on dsp4 and the base tune, I'm going to re-write making the dsp4 as the base and the base dsp4 to see if I notice a difference.

I can see your point on the lower power tunes on the dsp positions screwing with the transmission, but in my case its never affected me, I have always had mine set up as:

Base = 500 hp
dsp1 = 501 hp
dsp2 = 505 hp
dsp3 = 507 hp
dsp4 = 499 hp

Mine has always pretty much shifted the same :D