LMM: DSP 5 wire swap ?

cdbright

JUST RENT IT
Dec 16, 2008
Salt Lake City, UT
So the previous owner of my truck had a DPS 5 switch and just pulled the wires out and left the pins in the ECM connector, so i got it split enough to dig the hot wire pin out but before that i destroyed the hot end, can i swap and send other wire (red) right to ground, shit never mind gonna cut the end off and splice together and run straight to ground, i guess i needed to type to make my brain work correctly, i started to delete but i will still post for your amusement.

I did not have same connector on hand and obviously cant start truck to go find one on a holiday.

Side Note: it is not fun digging out pins from connector :(

cdbright

JUST RENT IT
Dec 16, 2008
Salt Lake City, UT
the pin seems too big to go all the way down into the connector anyway, yes i got all of the old out but it still seems to big and it has to go so far down the connector to make contact at the ECM all you have left to push on is wire and it is not strong enough to make the pin slide all the way down:confused:

duratothemax

<--- slippery roads
Aug 28, 2006
Wyoming
Yes, you can tie the "ground" side of the DSP-5 pin to any good chassis ground on the body/frame. It doesnt have to go to the ground (low reference) pin on the ECM.

Ben

Max Attitude

11SIX
Mar 7, 2012
Caledonia, MI
My guess is you don't have the pin seated right or all the way in. People put them in wrong all the time. The pin has 4 "sides" and it only works one way. It should push in and click.

duratothemax

<--- slippery roads
Aug 28, 2006
Wyoming
My guess is you don't have the pin seated right or all the way in. People put them in wrong all the time. The pin has 4 "sides" and it only works one way. It should push in and click.

The switch doesnt "put out voltage" per se...

The ECM's analog input has an internal 5v pullup...then the switch has various resistors into it that pull that input to ground with varying levels of resistance. So the ECM measures the voltage drop from the 5v pullup reference, through the (limiting) resistors, to ground.

So with the ground wire disconnected, if you measure the purple wire pre-DSP5 switch, the purple wire should read around 5v.