DRW to SRW Conversion

Grumpywings

May 13, 2012
First post... Hi!

This forum has been tremendously useful in these first two years of Duramax ownership, so I wanted to take a minute to document my DRW to SRW conversion for internet posterity since it's been frequently discussed but rarely described accurately.

The first question I always read was "Why not just trade it in on a SRW?" I inherited this truck from my Dad, so it has sentimental value, it's a better work truck than my last Denali was, and I've got two girls quickly approaching college, so it was just right for me :thumb:

The DFW airport valet wrapped the right side of my bed around a pole, so the project quickly got into high gear with their funding. Finding a clean long bed that hasn't been beat to death at work was a little challenging, but Craigslist eventually solved that.

096.jpg

I wanted to keep the dually axle if possible to keep costs down. The 2500 & 3500 SRW axle does have the same leaf pad width, so it is a bolt-on, but I decided to pick up a pair of '05 Suburban Quadrasteer flares. Trying to find a pair of these used was near impossible. My local dealer gave me 10% off list price, which was an exact match to gmpartsdirect.com's price after shipping.

011.jpg

The 3/4 ton rear flares are 1 3/8" wide on each side. The Quadrasteer flairs are 3 3/4" wide on each side, so I felt wheel backspacing was the key to getting the wheel/fender relationship in a normal range. I chose the XD Hoss in 22x9.5, 4.75 backspacing, 0 offset. Dually adapters came off and they fit like any other 3/4 ton, minor rubbing and all. I'm runing a set of Nitto 305/40-22's for now because I had them sitting around. It will eventually get 285/50-22 Nittos and a level kit.

009.jpg

This combo sticks out of the front wheel flare by 1 1/8" which I think is perfect.

008.jpg

Now that the test fit is done, I'm ordering the rear wheels in the same size. If my measurements are right, they will stick out 9/16" from the flare in the rear, which will also be perfect. I think the wider stance and quasi-dually look of the rear flares will be pretty sweet. :woott:

Shieldsinc

On a Time Out
Apr 24, 2012
I kept my drw axle under my ruck after the swap. It lined up pretty good. But i also have a 05 dodge front axle. Not sure the difference in the Chevy front end and the dodge axle

Grumpywings

May 13, 2012
Finally finished the project. It required 1/4" wheel spacers on the rear to allow the gorilla lug nuts to not shank out. I also keyed the front up 2", which I didn't expect to suck the front wheels in almost a full inch. The standard XD center caps are about 3/8" too short to fit over the DRW axle hubs, so I'm running the extra long XD center caps for now. I'm planning to change the axle bolts over to a flush countersunk, which should give just enough clearance to get standard caps back on.

2.jpg

1.jpg

3.jpg

Cknight199

Aug 23, 2012
Salt Lake City, Utah
Finally finished the project. It required 1/4" wheel spacers on the rear to allow the gorilla lug nuts to not shank out. I also keyed the front up 2", which I didn't expect to suck the front wheels in almost a full inch. The standard XD center caps are about 3/8" too short to fit over the DRW axle hubs, so I'm running the extra long XD center caps for now. I'm planning to change the axle bolts over to a flush countersunk, which should give just enough clearance to get standard caps back on.

2.jpg

1.jpg

3.jpg

I absolutely love your truck! I was going to do this but wasn't sure about the rear axle hubs. I see you have the extended hub cap, but what is a flush countersunk? If anyone could explain what it is I would be very grateful, thank you

Veikra

Dec 19, 2011
Montreal, Canada
I want to do the opposite . Mine was converted to SRW by previous owner and I want the hips back. Having a heck of a hard time trying to find a dually bed anywhere within 700km from Montreal :( Saw some in tenesse though..

CKnight : The dually axle studs have a longer portion without treads to go through both wheels and the spacer. The single wheels model have different studs.