Dreaded questions, fluids and filters

duckmans83

Oct 13, 2018
GA
So, 2 days ago I just picked up a 2005 crew cab 4x4 dually duramax with 5 speed automatic with 124k miles on it. I will be putting about 5k miles a year on this with a 12k lb trailer.

I'm starting to research about all the fluids and filters I will need. Not sure how accurate the fuel filter and oil meters are. Oils says 73% and fuel filter is reading 100%.

Oil and fuel filter were changed recently and trans was changed at 90k.

Figured 125k miles would be a good time to do everything so looking at power steering, brake, trans, diffs, transfer case, and coolant fluids and filters. Any recommendations, websites, and/or links would be great! Also looking for any must due mods like the intake to turbo pipe that is restricted.

Any good places or websites to order these items would also be great!

I'm coming from a ford 7.3 so know all about that and have alot to learn about the lly duramax.

Thanks for any help!
e6fc398b7ba613b7745813a6a3588453.jpg

Sent from my SM-G900V using Tapatalk

CarolinaHD

Feb 8, 2011
NC
Start in the owners manual, it lists all the fluids you need. I got my Allison stuff and transynd through a local big truck shop. Everything else came from the parts store or buy filters in bulk on ebay. Deep in the tech articles on dieselplace.com you'll find how to threads on hydroboost/power steering fluid swap, transmission fluid, etc.

duckmans83

Oct 13, 2018
GA
Will do. I guess the factory filters and fluids are the way to go?

duckmans83

Oct 13, 2018
GA
A little worried about these head gaskets. Just read up some more on it. I did check the upper radiator hose and it wasn't stiff when cold or hot.

darkness

Jul 15, 2009
vegas
For the power steering fluid just unhook the return line from the hydroboost (rubber line) and run a longer hose into a catch can. With the truck running, start pumping the brakes and turning the steering wheel 1/4-1/2 turn either way. Make sure you keep the reservoir filled and keep doing it till you get clean fluid. Probably take about a gallon.

duckmans83

Oct 13, 2018
GA
Thanks darkness! Just use the GM stuff? Not sure what the cat filter adapter is for so mote info would be great.

duckmans83

Oct 13, 2018
GA
Checked out my owners manual, not as helpful as I would like. Sounds like oil change is once a year or when the dash says so. Also sounds like there are 2 different service messages pop up when things are due. I shouldn't put but 5k miles a year so that works for me. Rotella t6 good for these things? That's what I run in a few things around my house.

duckmans83

Oct 13, 2018
GA
Does the percentage thing on the gauge cluster still work? Not sure how the percentage gauge works for that anyways.

darkness

Jul 15, 2009
vegas
The oil and fuel filter meter is based on mileage. It doesn’t actually check health.

Budneeds2beers

Aka Mike Honcho....
Aug 25, 2016
Cali
Cat filter doesn’t separate water. So be aware of that. I use t6 for the motor mobil one filter. Transynd for trans, buy filters for it from merchant. Use gm fluid for transfer case and royal purp for axles.

duckmans83

Oct 13, 2018
GA
Good info, thanks!
Cat filter doesn’t separate water. So be aware of that. I use t6 for the motor mobil one filter. Transynd for trans, buy filters for it from merchant. Use gm fluid for transfer case and royal purp for axles.

duckmans83

Oct 13, 2018
GA
I'm heading to Walmart today so going to pick up what I can. Probably oil, filter, diff fluid. Merchant website I guess for all the trans stuff. I think the owners manual had quantities. Dexcool for coolant.

Thanks for the help!

Now that I'm posting in the right section, I'm seeing alot more info I'm needing.

duckmans83

Oct 13, 2018
GA
Checked out the sticky for fluid capacity. Sounds like the only thing I need from the dealer is the transfer case fluid unless I run motor oil in it. Not sure my ring gear size, being a dully does that mean I have the bigger one and need 3 qt in the front? Maybe I should go to dealer to see what their computer brings up for my truck?

Apr 15, 2015
dallas
If your getting a filter at Walmart don't. Wix oil or delco. Probably already stated red Allison only for trans. Delco or racor or Baldwin for fuel. Google is your best friend. Or use search function. These things have been covered many many times on here

duckmans83

Oct 13, 2018
GA
Cool man, thanks. So many opinions out there. I haven't had a chevy in a while and didn't even know acdelco was their brand. I thought walmart had acdelco filters. Fuel filter was changed by dealer very recently. Nice to get a truck with all these maintenance records.

I take it the fuel filter is a water separator as well? What micron rating are they? I like the cat filter idea if that is what most people recommend.

I am doing searching as well but alot of opinions and old data out there.

PureHybrid

Isuzu Shakes IT
Feb 15, 2012
Central OH
Donaldson makes a water separator that will fit the CAT adaptors, P553203 or P553207. Don't waste money on Transynd for the transmission, just run any Dex3 fluid. Same for transfer case. The Walmarts around here sell Mobil 1 and AC oil filters, so it's fine to get supplies there. I think these other guys just didn't want you to buy a Fram :D which I agree with