Digital Assist Steering Re-Program?

mikemillersamnet

Jan 3, 2022
Hi peeps. New to Chevy and this forum. Hope I’m posting in the right place .

Just picked up a 2018 2500 High Country w/ 56k. Steering is very loose only at speeds of 55-75mph. Dealer replaced Pitman/Idler Arms but it didn’t fix the issue. Now they are saying that the truck drives fine and will not move forward with any other repairs lol.

After doing some internet research, I found that some people having this issue claim that it’s bad tuning/programming in the “Digital Assist Steering” module. I haven’t seen anyone speak of a solution.

Is it possible to re-tune or re-calibrate the system? Or replace all together?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

KyleC4

Tech
Dec 30, 2016
Bay Area
I have not fixed any issue like that with a re-programming. I do know that there was an issue with the lock nut coming loose or the preload adjuster bolt backing off. This can be seen from engine bay with a mirror. Or you can see through the driver side fender well. What you are looking for is if the lock nut is not touching the top plate of the steering box.

Reactions: mikemillersamnet

Chevy1925

don't know sh!t about IFS
Staff member
Oct 21, 2009
Phoenix Az
There was a TSB out there for the 2020's to update the digital assist. Steering was touchy at speed, allowed steering wheel shake over 50 and some other stuff. mine does it but i prefer it over heavy steering. TSB states NOT to calibrate the system unless customer complains.

Again though, this is only on 2020's, i dont know that the system is the same for the 18's nor if the OS would even work in it. i dont think thats your issue. how much play is in the wheel at speed?

Reactions: mikemillersamnet

mikemillersamnet

Jan 3, 2022
There was a TSB out there for the 2020's to update the digital assist. Steering was touchy at speed, allowed steering wheel shake over 50 and some other stuff. mine does it but i prefer it over heavy steering. TSB states NOT to calibrate the system unless customer complains.

Again though, this is only on 2020's, i dont know that the system is the same for the 18's nor if the OS would even work in it. i dont think thats your issue. how much play is in the wheel at speed?

1-2”. The reason it feels like the digital assistant is because the wheel tightens right up at 50mph and below and 80mph and up. I can watch my digital speedo hit those speeds and feel the wheel tighten right up on the dot of 50 and 80mph.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk