LB7: Difference in cali emissions lb7

TheBac

Why do I keep doing this?
Staff member
Apr 19, 2008
Mid Michigan
Port size in heads of Cali is smaller. IIRC, theres also an EGR port in the heads. Stock turbo has different turbine flange on Cali, might have different inlet, too.
Obviously, an AIR pump and EGR system on Cali.

Thats all I can think of off the top of my head.

DuramaxRamRod

Oct 11, 2014
NH
Port size in heads of Cali is smaller. IIRC, theres also an EGR port in the heads. Stock turbo has different turbine flange on Cali, might have different inlet, too.
Obviously, an AIR pump and EGR system on Cali.

Thats all I can think of off the top of my head.
The intake Horn has a flat spot on the outside at least to make room for the valves in the y-bridge.

2004LB7

Dec 15, 2010
Norcal
Glow plug module and individually monitored glow plugs on the cali vs bonding strap across all the plugs on the fed

DAVe3283

Heavy & Slow
Sep 3, 2009
Boise, ID, USA
Having just messed with a few, here's what I remember:

- Federal uses a glow plug relay and bus bars, no diagnostics. CA uses a fancy controller with diagnostics, and each plug has a dedicated wire. The one part of the CA motor I like. You can run the CA glow plug setup on a federal OS and it works awesome. I do this on both my LB7s.
- CA has an EGR riser on the passenger up-pipe, and an EGR cooler. Heater lines are different to accommodate.
- CA has a different Y-bridge, actually a 2 piece unit with a butterfly valve to force the motor to draw exhaust in when required. Federal is a one piece, and uses a shorter wire to the intake air heater since it's closer to the motor.
- The MAP sensor is on a tube on the CA motor, and directly plugs into the Y bridge on federal. It is held down with a different bracket CA vs. federal.
- CA has a vacuum pump to run the EGR crap, and a longer belt to make that work. A bunch of solenoids tucked up near the fuel filter head. Additional wiring in the harness too.
- CA head has different intake ports than federal, but they look bigger to me. SoCal Diesel once told me the CA heads flow better stock (barely), but you can't really open them up, so federal heads are better if you're porting them.
- The PCV system on the CA motor is routed over the Y bridge to clear the EGR, with a stupid Y pipe bracket, whereas the federal system is simpler and tucked in the valley nicely. Both go to a phase separator on the front accessory bracket then vent to atmosphere.
- The turbo exhaust housing bolt pattern and downpipe are different. Probably to clear the EGR riser?

There's probably more I don't remember or haven't noticed.

Sent from my Cat S60 using Tapatalk

dirty_max

Jan 27, 2013
eureka il
Having just messed with a few, here's what I remember:

- Federal uses a glow plug relay and bus bars, no diagnostics. CA uses a fancy controller with diagnostics, and each plug has a dedicated wire. The one part of the CA motor I like. You can run the CA glow plug setup on a federal OS and it works awesome. I do this on both my LB7s.
- CA has an EGR riser on the passenger up-pipe, and an EGR cooler. Heater lines are different to accommodate.
- CA has a different Y-bridge, actually a 2 piece unit with a butterfly valve to force the motor to draw exhaust in when required. Federal is a one piece, and uses a shorter wire to the intake air heater since it's closer to the motor.
- The MAP sensor is on a tube on the CA motor, and directly plugs into the Y bridge on federal. It is held down with a different bracket CA vs. federal.
- CA has a vacuum pump to run the EGR crap, and a longer belt to make that work. A bunch of solenoids tucked up near the fuel filter head. Additional wiring in the harness too.
- CA head has different intake ports than federal, but they look bigger to me. SoCal Diesel once told me the CA heads flow better stock (barely), but you can't really open them up, so federal heads are better if you're porting them.
- The PCV system on the CA motor is routed over the Y bridge to clear the EGR, with a stupid Y pipe bracket, whereas the federal system is simpler and tucked in the valley nicely. Both go to a phase separator on the front accessory bracket then vent to atmosphere.
- The turbo exhaust housing bolt pattern and downpipe are different. Probably to clear the EGR riser?

There's probably more I don't remember or haven't noticed.

When you say the turbo exhaust housing bolt pattern is different do you mean where it bolts to the block? Cuz that would be a problem. The rest i can deal with i think. Im asking because someone near me has an engine for sale for dirt cheap and i wanted to make sure i could use it. Will just be a stock turbo puller

DAVe3283

Heavy & Slow
Sep 3, 2009
Boise, ID, USA
When you say the turbo exhaust housing bolt pattern is different do you mean where it bolts to the block? Cuz that would be a problem. The rest i can deal with i think. Im asking because someone near me has an engine for sale for dirt cheap and i wanted to make sure i could use it. Will just be a stock turbo puller
It is different how the turbo bolts to the downpipe. As long as you match the turbo to the downpipe you can put a federal turbo on a cali motor or vice versa. Everything else lines up the same except the downpipe.