Delipping Pistons in block

slowlmm

Mar 2, 2008
so cal
sure just bring the whole block to guys and stick it in the cnc im sure he wouldent mind LOL :hug:

Rhall

Old Skooler
Aug 12, 2006
Texas Y'all
We don't want to have to disasemble the engine because we have decided other wise, but we still might want to modify the pistons.

So what happened to the motor that was in the truck? Is this a different motor your talking about? Are you putting a stock one back in it?

Rob

dieselson

Oct 14, 2006
Huntington Beach, CA
We decided we were gonna take a risk and run the the pitted cylinder walls and not do the whole motor right now, because we just cant afford it, so basically, we are just going to machine the warped heads, take the studs that were stuck in the block out, HS it and gasket it, and if its possible delip the pistons without taking them out of the block.

dmaxlover

Mar 17, 2007
WI
Hey guy, is it possible to delip your pistons while they are still in the block?

To de-lip the pistons correctly they would have to be machined. The pistons fit way too loose in the cylinders to even think about machining them. You already have the heads off, which means all the hard work is done. Just remove the oil pan and the rod bolts, and the pistons come right out.

Your already going to have a few hundred dollars into the project, you might as well do it right. It's going to be much cheaper now to fix it right, then to wait until it blows.

Trippin

SoCal Diesel
Aug 10, 2006
Anything is possible, but my answer is no.

Bring me the engine, I'll pop the pistons out, cut them and re-install.

dieselson

Oct 14, 2006
Huntington Beach, CA
The only problem is if we popped the pistons out, because of the pitting in the cylinder walls, the rings wouldn't seal, and we would have to bore the block 0.20 over, and get .20 over pistons, and there goes the cost, right through the roof.

ripmf666

Sep 20, 2006
Wentzville Mo
I think I would just call Guy he said he would pop them out and install them, If he is saying that more then likely he will do a little honing to the bore and the rings will seat.

dmaxlover

Mar 17, 2007
WI
The only problem is if we popped the pistons out, because of the pitting in the cylinder walls, the rings wouldn't seal, and we would have to bore the block 0.20 over, and get .20 over pistons, and there goes the cost, right through the roof.

Bored .020 over, not .20;)