Dead spot between 1800&2400 rpm

02greysixer

Jun 4, 2011
North Central FL
I hope I'm in the right place here...
My truck is an 02 6 speed standard and it seems to have some type of flat spot when you get on the gas hard, almost like a safety limp mode but it doesn't throw any codes. If I slowly roll into the throttle in say 3rd gear it will get up and go nicely, but if I just mash it straight to the floor it just slowly accelerates. It doesn't act like it's starved for fuel or anything it just seems like it's going into some type of safe mode or something. The truck has a afe cold air intake and a diablo preditor turned all the way up. I'm wondering if this is normal behavior for a manual trans dmax or if I have a bad throttle sensor or something?? Any help would be appreciated!
I don't expect my old truck to be a speedy racer but it just seems like something's off with it?

02greysixer

Jun 4, 2011
North Central FL
They do sound very similar, mine doesn't sound as drastic as yours but similar. Now my next question is would it be the sensor on the gas pedal or the sensor on the motor (if there is one). Sorry I don't have a computer all I have is my phone and the search feature is a pain to use. Thanks for the help.

02greysixer

Jun 4, 2011
North Central FL
No I tried that today, just kinda stops accelerating. It never slows down at all but the only way it will pick back up is if I let off the gas then get back on it

TrentNell

Finally underway !!!!!
Jul 7, 2008
slc tuah
Tried the new accelerator sensor today, it did not fix my problem:confused:
Anybody got any other suggestions for me :(

An EFI log of the problem would help alot in diagnosing it , other than that not much that we can do with out seeing what is being commanded by the ECM.

jon5212

Oct 13, 2010
Change your fuel filter and report back. My truck is an 01 with a ZF6 as well and I have no problems like you are having. My truck in 3rd gear when I punch it at 1800 RPM it leaves real hard and real quick.

fast03

Jun 15, 2008
Rancho Cucamonga
Does it come in hard when the turbo lights then? Kinda like it has a huge turbo that takes forever to spool?

Thats what mine does on the big tune. Feels super dead then I get a burst of fuel and it kicks in. Sometimes will just stay dead with little burst of power. Have not logged the big tune, but fuel on a smaller tune tracks well commanded verse actual.

Bustedknuckles

Honey Badger
Sep 25, 2010
Hagerstown MD
Thats what mine does on the big tune. Feels super dead then I get a burst of fuel and it kicks in. Sometimes will just stay dead with little burst of power. Have not logged the big tune, but fuel on a smaller tune tracks well commanded verse actual.

Mine was doing that and I sent Rob a log and he sent me new tunes that fixed it.

02greysixer

Jun 4, 2011
North Central FL
Its got a new fuel filter on it, it doesn't feel starved for fuel. I've driven my dads 07 with a bad fuel filter and it's a different feeling. My truck feels and sounds like it wants to go it just won't. It feels like the computer is holding it back, like it has some type of variable rev limiter going on or something. I've been talking with Buck Lemoine at Diablo and he is going to hook me up with a 2 position dps switch with a couple of custom tunes. He assured me he could get rid of the problem and make it take off like I want. The truck will free rev good if I punch it right off idle, but if I bring it up to about 1500 rpm and hit it the throttle response is horribly sluggish. But again, it doesn't feel starved for fuel it just feels like the computer won't let it go. If I slowly get on the gas it will go all the way to the rev limiter

DMAXchris

It’s only temporary!
Apr 28, 2009
Natrona Heights PA
My truck did the same exact thing last week when I flashed a new tune in. Felt like it had an s483/96 on it. lol. I re-flashed the tune then the issue went away and hasn't occurred again. Strange little gremlin for sure.