Daily Driving with CalTracs

c20elephant

C20ELEPHANT
Apr 25, 2013
Phoenix, Arizona
Is this typical install on the Caltracs where the triangle piece slips around the stock bushing sleeve, the ones I looked at did not and you replaced the bushing in the leaf spring eye..? Also, I have seen some newer model Caltracs and they're using a steel/rubber coated bushing that rides on the leaf.
=
truck_50.jpg

=

ScreaminDuramax

Sep 19, 2013
Torrance
Is this typical install on the Caltracs where the triangle piece slips around the stock bushing sleeve, the ones I looked at did not and you replaced the bushing in the leaf spring eye..? Also, I have seen some newer model Caltracs and they're using a steel/rubber coated bushing that rides on the leaf.
=

=

The stock leaf bushing is replaced with a metal one, the front pin that rides on the leaf should have a rubber sleeve around it to prevent noise. That doesn't look right

c20elephant

C20ELEPHANT
Apr 25, 2013
Phoenix, Arizona
The stock leaf bushing is replaced with a metal one, the front pin that rides on the leaf should have a rubber sleeve around it to prevent noise. That doesn't look right

I just read the thread the picture came from, the guy did not remove the stock bushing and install the metal one and it's a thread from 2007, Caltracs has since update the bushing/sleeve that hits the top of the leaf spring..

Here is the correct bushing at the leaf.
=

=

Last edited:

N2BRK

Dec 31, 2009
That sounds better. I know mine have the extra hole and rubberized top pin, whereas my buddy's older set has one fewer hole and no rubber on the top pin.

Chevy1925

don't know sh!t about IFS
Staff member
Oct 21, 2009
Phoenix Az
So a little oil will go a long way...:thumb:

anti seize would be a better option.

I wouldn't worry about Caltracs on the street. For 8yrs mine have been street driven every day and also plonking offroad. No elongated holes, no problems. They're backed off a bit for the street then tightened up for drags. Without them things get to jumping around badly and stuff breaks. A few years ago I went a couple months with them removed....on the dd/medium tune broke a U-joint on one occasion and an input shaft on another occasion.

its still a good reminder to check them. just like how people never change brake fluid and will go 100k on it or water level is never checked in serviceable batteries.

i think nick had something else that caused the bolt not hold still and still rotate but those in salty climates, its a good thing to watch for

Awenta

Sep 28, 2014
CT
That sounds better. I know mine have the extra hole and rubberized top pin, whereas my buddy's older set has one fewer hole and no rubber on the top pin.

3 and 4 hole are still available. 4 hole for lifted trucks.

Sent from my SM-N910V using Tapatalk

IOWA LLY

Yes, its really me
Feb 23, 2007
Do caltracs really work that much better then straight traction bars for drag racing? I've never ran a set of caltracs so I'm completely unfamiliar with them.

Sent from my SM-N920V using Tapatalk

Chevy1925

Staff member
Oct 21, 2009
Phoenix Az
Do caltracs really work that much better then straight traction bars for drag racing? I've never ran a set of caltracs so I'm completely unfamiliar with them.

Sent from my SM-N920V using Tapatalk

they aid in providing traction, axle wrap bars are just that and no more.

caltracs allow some give on start and also increase spring rate to keep the rear end from squatting too much but do so in a progressive manner depending on how much you crank the bar up.

so someone that will play at the strip more than the street, ive always highly recommended cal tracs over axle wrap bars.

x MadMAX DIESEL

<<<< No Horsepower
Dec 30, 2008
Lexington, Ky
Was the bolt the wrong size? I don't see how that would happen with the correct size and secured. Also they are on the least aggressive pin hole

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Chevy1925

Staff member
Oct 21, 2009
Phoenix Az
Was the bolt the wrong size? I don't see how that would happen with the correct size and secured. Also they are on the least aggressive pin hole

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

the bolt was the stock spring hanger bolt so it was the correct size. if the bolt siezed to the sleeve in the bushing and the sleeve seized up, it will cause what you see. or if the cantilever arms twist the sleeve and the bolt seized to the sleeve to allow it to twist, it will cause the same thing. it doesnt take much to wear before the bolt will then continually start egging out the bolt hole.