D max swap

SINCAL_DMAX

Diesel Powered
Feb 2, 2009
PASO ROBLES CA
I am thinking about puting my 01 d max engine in a 6.0 2500hd or 8.1 truck. has any one done this and how big of a pain is i?. aslo if i have a 01 engine what year trucks i can i do the swap on?

ripmf666

Sep 20, 2006
Wentzville Mo
You could really use any year, the best would be a 01 with close to the same options your truck has like the the 8.1 with a allison.Find a donor and swap everything over,Dash cluster wiring and all.Having another truck that is wrecked will help you alot.

THEFERMANATOR

LEGALLY INSANE
Feb 16, 2009
ZEPHYRHILLS, FL
I'm currently swapping an 01 into my 95 SUB, and it is a BIG job. If going into an HD body it isn't that bad. The TDIGUY over at the place has done a few diesel swaps into new style SUBS and an ESCALADE. As for the swap a donor would almost be a MUST. Also remember that 01's DMAX ECM is a one off in a few ways. In 01 the ECM has a seperate output for a speed signal to the ABS(that is different than the one for the speedo) and also it uses a different code to talk to the ABS system. A guy down the road from me learned this the hard way in his DMAX swap as he put an 02 ECM onto his 01 DMAX in a 99 SUBURBAN, ABS won't work and can't even access it through the data port. Also the motor mounts for a DMAX are shorter than those for the 6.0 or 8.1L. The swap is doable, but would be the easiest to do on same year trucks as GM kept the wiring pretty standardized from year to year.

ZR1160

TT Dmax Junkie
Jan 12, 2007
Eastern Canada
Here is a write up on a guy who put a dmax in a 2500hd Sub....It should answer most of your questions:)

Attachments

• Conversion Writeup.pdf
    1.1 MB · Views: 11