coolant issue?

02bigstrokin

Sep 9, 2008
ever since i put the twins on my truck im having some coolant issues. its not using any coolant but its holding pressure for way too long, like days! i tryed replacing the cap and that didnt help. the problem is that it holds pressure when its cold and im starting to get leaks. right off the bottom of the overflow tank the 1" line its leaking there when cold and then now its pushing out around a hard coolant line that comes in right beside the thermostat housing. im confused, thinking maybe im loosing the headgaskets but tis not using any and not bubbling or overflowing. what do you guys think?

TrentNell

Finally underway !!!!!
Jul 7, 2008
slc tuah
if you can get a coolant system pressure tool , you can check it @ start up , go do a hard run and check it after . if it is higher i would have to say the HG is suspect . it will go up a bit from the WOT run because of spinnig the water pump faster , but maybe you can check travis's truck for reference on whats normal . i hope running it with the boost leak and high DP didnt take out the HG . hope you get it figured out man , you just cant seem to catch a break latley :(

bullfrogjohnson

Big Girl!
Nov 20, 2006
Locust, NC
this one is strange as it wont puke coolant out of the overflow. I believe the coolant cap will hold 15 psi so this pressure has to be lower than that. I have felt the upper hose and it is harder than mine after a night of sitting but still doesnt seem to be a blown gasket:confused:

sweetdiesel

That's better
Aug 6, 2006
Thailand
Need that adapter and pressure up the system to 15-17 psi do the leak down overnight and fix the drips

Could also pull the glowplugs if the leak down fails and check for coolant...but you allready know this right Travis:D

SBCNX20

Aug 7, 2006
Central MA
Head Gasket, that is the way mine started out for a few weeks and it then got worse and worse. I had all the same thoughts and dreams of.... Air in the system, Cap, bad thermostat, Etc, but no such luck! Now just pray when you take it apart you dont find cracked pistons or bent rods as many of us do! Good luck man! :(

skintback

Take this one to church
Mar 5, 2007
Florida
Head Gasket, that is the way mine started out for a few weeks and it then got worse and worse. I had all the same thoughts and dreams of.... Air in the system, Cap, bad thermostat, Etc, but no such luck! Now just pray when you take it apart you dont find cracked pistons or bent rods as many of us do! Good luck man! :(

X2

Same thing mine did

02bigstrokin

Sep 9, 2008
this thing has been acting like this for a while, even before the twins i thought that it was using some anitfreeze and would go and open the cap to add some and when you open the cap the level rises right back to where it needs to be. its not like it just started this i just never posted about it before. another weird thing about it was when i changed the cp3 back out of it this last time, when i was adding coolant it acted like it wouldnt take it. it was very slow to fill the radiator even with the bleeder wide open. i dont know whats going on but its odd. im not doubting those of you that think its a headgasket but why does it not use any coolant, or puke any or even have bubbles in it?

Rhall

Old Skooler
Aug 12, 2006
Texas Y'all
could have an injector cup pushed out too, thats what mine did, it would eat any coolant, just pressurize the system.

02bigstrokin

Sep 9, 2008
could have an injector cup pushed out too, thats what mine did, it would eat any coolant, just pressurize the system.

yeah we thought about that, but when our friend jared had that happen to himit was puking anti freeze out real bad.

Rhall

Old Skooler
Aug 12, 2006
Texas Y'all
yeah we thought about that, but when our friend jared had that happen to himit was puking anti freeze out real bad.

I thought i had a blown head gasket for sure, my system would pressurize after a trip around the block with the stock tune, i had 6 injector cups pull out with the injectors, the headgasket was perfectly fine, mine never puked it out once.

skintback

Take this one to church
Mar 5, 2007
Florida
If your going to go as far as injector cup replacement you might as well pull the heads off and have them cleaned and checked and then put it all back together with new seals o'rings and gaskets

Last edited:

02bigstrokin

Sep 9, 2008
theres a big difference in doing injector cups and doing headstuds. its easier to pull the motor to do headstuds. you can injector cups in frame as long as you have the tool. im probably going to go ahead and get studs and when we do the studs we'll go ahead and do all the seals and all at the same time.