Compresion ratio ?

TrentNell

Finally underway !!!!!
Jul 7, 2008
slc tuah
What is the lowest you can go on compression without smoking white at idle in summer temps ? And how low is nec when dealing with high boost ( 70-90 psi ) . I am trying to figure out how much to have taken off my pistons when i have them cut. I was thinking 16:1 but heard that for that much boost 14-15:1 would be needed ?

Last edited:

S Phinney

Aug 15, 2008
Quncy, Fl
I think the 15 to 1 would work well for you Trent but I not the expert. Contact Guy or Curtis and they will know for sure.

sweetdiesel

That's better
Aug 6, 2006
Thailand
15.8 to 1 starts great even at some cool nights 8c (with glow plugs)
I think i will go as low as 15:1 next time JMHO

IIRC Frieghttrain was pretty low??

JoshH

Daggum farm truck
Staff member
Vendor/Sponsor
Feb 14, 2007
Texas!!!
My motor before had close to 15:1 comperssion ratio, and it would smoke when it was cold even with a grid heater and glow plugs. The new motor will be closer to 16:1, and I will be running boost close to what you will be.

03demax

Sep 15, 2008
Central PA
Talk to JOHNBOY he had issues with coaking in their. He could give you the details. Not sure of the if and whys I just remember him talking about it.

duratothemax

<--- slippery roads
Aug 28, 2006
Wyoming
My motor before had close to 15:1 comperssion ratio, and it would smoke when it was cold even with a grid heater and glow plugs. The new motor will be closer to 16:1, and I will be running boost close to what you will be.

before or after the rods shortened? :D :p:

SmokeShow

Nov 30, 2006
Lawrenceburg, KY
With that much boost (or any given amount of boost), wouldn't the higher CR make more cyl. pressure and thereby be capable of making more power? You just need to know when the block or crank will bow out, right?

TrentNell

Finally underway !!!!!
Jul 7, 2008
slc tuah
With that much boost (or any given amount of boost), wouldn't the higher CR make more cyl. pressure and thereby be capable of making more power? You just need to know when the block or crank will bow out, right?

yes i have considered that as well , but head gasket problems and injector cups staying sealed are the things i worry about with the cylinder pressure it could generate ? And i am checking into wether i can afford to fire ring or o-ring the heads and block .

Last edited:

Fingers

Village Idiot
Vendor/Sponsor
Apr 1, 2008
White Oak, PA
The lower reasonable limit also depends on the injectors. Stock injectors will tolerate a lower compression.

My engine is too low at 14.5:1 and stock injectors. It starts fine, but runs rough in cold weather till it warms up some. Depending on how cold it is, I dump a lot of white smoke till warm too. Once warm, everything is fine.

I don't think it will tolerate larger injectors well. :(

S Phinney

Aug 15, 2008
Quncy, Fl
Not trying to high jack Trents thread but does anyone know the respective cylinder pressure versus compression ratio? Example 16 to 1 produces 400 psi, hypothetically.

JoshH

Daggum farm truck
Staff member
Vendor/Sponsor
Feb 14, 2007
Texas!!!
before or after the rods shortened? :D :p:
:D Assuming I didn't bend them the first day I got it running, it was before they were bent. The outside temps weren't exactly warm though. I think it was probably in the 40s or 50s.

Idaho CTD

Junkie
May 28, 2008
Idaho
Since you now have a back up truck Trent I would go 15:1. If I was going to DD it, especially at your altitude, I would go 16:1.

TrentNell

Finally underway !!!!!
Jul 7, 2008
slc tuah
Thanks for the feed back guys :hug: since this is going to be pretty much a race truck i will probably stick with 15:1-15.5:1 and see how it works out .

IdahoRob

Jun 5, 2007
What ever you choose Trent (within reason) tuning can really help. I had the race truck out at the track and it was in the 40's with those huge injectors.

I sat and played with the tuning at idle and cleaned the idle smoke almost completely up with a cold engine.

TrentNell

Finally underway !!!!!
Jul 7, 2008
slc tuah
What ever you choose Trent (within reason) tuning can really help. I had the race truck out at the track and it was in the 40's with those huge injectors.

I sat and played with the tuning at idle and cleaned the idle smoke almost completely up with a cold engine.

Thanks for the info Rob , that is good to know if i end up having that problem with the lower compression .