Commercial Truck and GVWR

lts1ow

Needs moar PAH!
May 14, 2012
NJ
I know I know, beat to death, but I can't find a answer for what I am asking. :(

On a commercially plated truck, can you over ride the GM GVWR requirement?

And or, whats more important, GV or GC, IMO the GCWR will be the number than hangs you if you are not within limits. But again, can you supersede what GM says GCWR is if you tag for a higher number?

(Sorry for the dumb if this stuff is easy)

malibu795

misspeelleerr
Apr 28, 2007
in the buckeye state
In short..

Max GVW is sum of all axle or axle and hitch (trailers) capacity of vehicle.
Max GCVW is sum of tow and towed vehicles axle capacities. Hitch capacity doesn't factor in to GCVW

Example..
3500 DRW 4800+112000=16000 GVW
3500 DRW + tandem 12k axle trailer would be 16k + 24k=40k GCVW

Trailer GVW would be 6k pin +24k axles for a 30k GVW

lts1ow

Needs moar PAH!
May 14, 2012
NJ
Right, but the state of NJ seems to let you dictate what your GVWR is for registration, does that trump door sticker?

2004LB7

Dec 15, 2010
Norcal
I dont have a CDL but from everything i have read. What you pay for on your tags is what the highway patrol and scales will check. Thay dont care about any door stickers or manufacturer rating.

The officers at the scales and Highway patrol cant remember each and every vehicle, options, modification, etc and how it changes the ratings. So all thay do is look at what it is registered for

Where i work we have a box truck that is rated at something like 14k gvwr but is tagged for 20k. Never had an issue at the scales when over the gvwr but under the registered weight

bmc1025

Jan 25, 2013
Big Bone, KY
My drivers doors and door jambs always need replacing/repainted and i havent found a good way to salvage the sticker. Ive only had one dot officer ask about it, the rest go off the registration.

drperry

Jan 4, 2015
If it's like here in Alberta, you're more limited by individual axle weights for truck capacity... You'll be able to license for road limits or manufacturer specs, whichever is lower.

moneypitt

MFNG
Jan 1, 2014
WA
They will check to make sure your tires and wheels if marked are rated to carry the load, at least that is what I was told by WSP here in Wa.

DefiantArms

Limp Mode Cowboy
Jan 28, 2016
St. Augustine, FL
They asked me when I first put a tag on my truck what weight class I wanted apparently there was a couple and it cost more but I told them the highest I could have :D is have to have the wife back home check what it is it's been so long I can't remember.