Clock Spring Help!

JDT4430

Jul 29, 2014
Replaced the power steering gear box on my truck and with the wheels set strait the steering wheel is upside down. Is there a way to look at the clock spring or wireing in the steering wheel to make sure i turn it the right derection before reinstalling the steering shaft. I tied the steering wheel before removal of anything but the wheels must have been turned one way or the other and i want to make sure to set the steering wheel back right so i dont rip the wires loose.

duratothemax

<--- slippery roads
Aug 28, 2006
Wyoming
Replaced the power steering gear box on my truck and with the wheels set strait the steering wheel is upside down. Is there a way to look at the clock spring or wireing in the steering wheel to make sure i turn it the right derection before reinstalling the steering shaft. I tied the steering wheel before removal of anything but the wheels must have been turned one way or the other and i want to make sure to set the steering wheel back right so i dont rip the wires loose.

Probably the only sure way is to remove the clock spring and turn it very carefully by hand until you feel resistance....then turn it back 360*??

duratothemax

<--- slippery roads
Aug 28, 2006
Wyoming

Good find!!

Im sure this will help a bunch of people who break their clock-springs during intermediate shaft replacements, etc......

I still cant believe how expensive they are. You'd think its a fairly common part and the aftermarket (Dorman, etc) would have come out with one? Maybe since its something to do with the airbag system they wont touch it?

Ben

c20elephant

C20ELEPHANT
Apr 25, 2013
Phoenix, Arizona
Attached a PDF, GM calls it a SIR coil

Attachments

• 68149d1214195146-ignition-switch-replacement-tutorial-ignition-switch-tutorial.pdf
    758 KB · Views: 9
Last edited:

JDT4430

Jul 29, 2014
Well just went with a more direct solution and just very slowly and very softly turned the wheel till it started to get tight then counted as i turned the other direction till it stopped which was about 7 turns then turned it back 3 since 3 1/2 would have put the wheel upside down and hooked everything up. Appreciate the help guys.

gmc502

Jan 16, 2011
Interesting, I replaced one on my 02 when I first bought it and it was only $76

I had /was putting steering wheel controls in my 02,using an 06 steering column.
turned out clock spring was broken.Checked online and it was like $300,ouch.Took the clock spring apart and reattached where it was ripped off the mounting pads for the electrical connection.did the realignment procedure,installed and its been fine for many years now.I'm betting most of these springs can be fixed.