LBZ: Cleaning fuel rails with water?

stibuilder

Oct 17, 2016
Snoqualmie, WA
So I pulled the fuel rails apart and removed the high pressure fuel lines. My plan is to degrease everything and clean with some abrasive pads all the lines and rails and rinse with water and dry with compressed air then put them in the oven for a few min to make sure they are 100% dry. Any issues with this? Appears the fuel rails are coated with something on the outside to keep them from rusting, should I paint them in the end?

Wikid

Machinist and Know things
Oct 21, 2016
Texas
So I pulled the fuel rails apart and removed the high pressure fuel lines. My plan is to degrease everything and clean with some abrasive pads all the lines and rails and rinse with water and dry with compressed air then put them in the oven for a few min to make sure they are 100% dry. Any issues with this? Appears the fuel rails are coated with something on the outside to keep them from rusting, should I paint them in the end?

You should be fine to do all that just avoid the ends with the tapers, you dont want to scratch those up as that is where they seal. I painted all of mine, the rails I just taped over the threads, the lines I just taped up the very ends that went into the injectors and rail and hung them and painted them with the nut hanging on the flanges so i could cover as much of the line with paint.

I didnt do any heavy degreasing with any pressure or air just rags to keep from blowing particles into bad places. as i left my pressure sensor and FPRV in.

Also if you use any water that would get on the inside throw some diesel or lubricant back into the rails to keep them from rusting after you paint. the insides are not coated and could rust quickly once all the diesel is cleaned off of them.

WolfLMM

Making Chips
Nov 21, 2006
AL
I just used kerosene on everything and blow it out with compressed air. No need for abrasive pads, the kerosene melted all the gunk right off.

stibuilder

Oct 17, 2016
Snoqualmie, WA
Rails are done the lines are in the Dollar Store CLR bath looks like ill need another bottle.

Should I be doing PPE fittings and race valves while I have all this apart?

Attachments

• WP_20170506_13_04_05_Pro.jpg
    WP_20170506_13_04_05_Pro.jpg
    157.1 KB · Views: 58

2004LB7

Dec 15, 2010
Norcal

I have done this almost exactly as you described twice with out ant issues. I didn't paint them through

Wikid

Machinist and Know things
Oct 21, 2016
Texas
Rails are done the lines are in the Dollar Store CLR bath looks like ill need another bottle.

Should I be doing PPE fittings and race valves while I have all this apart?

Race valve would be good, I drilled my fitting myself as the fittings are not hardened. Just make sure there are no burrs and clean them well. I only drilled mine when I went to 100% overs I ran stock size at 60% with stock CP3.