EFILive Changing vin number

MAXX IT OUT

<<<IT WORKS
Mar 1, 2013
Des Moines, Iowa
Changing vin number?????

I have been trying to change my vin to work with my CTS, sense they upgraded the OS to a 2002, and it says doesn't recognised all the pids. I tried using efi live to change the vin, I have to use the V8 software, since it said, the controller will not work with V7.5 anymore. I changed the number in the V8 software, saved the file and full flashed it. Then I when and read the file back and it comes up with my original vin number. I am trying to use the CTS for a DSP 5 switch as well as gauges. Edge said to upgrade to the 03-04 OS, but I was told that it will cause the security light to stay on, due to the BCM.
Any help.......

Last edited:

MuscleTruck03

Wants a turbo!! or two...
Mar 10, 2010
north ogden, ut
I don't think it will allow you to change your vin as efi locks itself to that vin, I would try changing your is to an 03-04 and go from there. If you do get codes you can usually just shut them off if they're nothing that effects how it runs. How that helps

sweetdiesel

That's better
Aug 6, 2006
Thailand
I have been trying to change my vin to work with my CTS, sense they upgraded the OS to a 2002, and it says doesn't recognised all the pids. I tried using efi live to change the vin, I have to use the V8 software, since it said, the controller will not work with V7.5 anymore. I changed the number in the V8 software, saved the file and full flashed it. Then I when and read the file back and it comes up with my original vin number. I am trying to use the CTS for a DSP 5 switch as well as gauges. Edge said to upgrade to the 03-04 OS, but I was told that it will cause the security light to stay on, due to the BCM.
Any help.......

Use 7.5 software, and the option change vin

If your having issues , I can walk u thru it. My 01 does this constantly

sweetdiesel

That's better
Aug 6, 2006
Thailand
I don't think it will allow you to change your vin as efi locks itself to that vin, I would try changing your is to an 03-04 and go from there. If you do get codes you can usually just shut them off if they're nothing that effects how it runs. How that helps

You can change vin on any year:)

GMC_2002_Dmax

The Still Master
You can only use V7.5 to change the Vin#.

The ECM does not license to a VIN# it licenses to the ecm unique Serial# which cannot be changed.

The problem is that EDGE will not address the issue, all they have to do is reprogram the units so that all 2001 and 2002 trucks can share the stock OS, right now only a 2001 truck can use a 2001 OS and not a 2002 OS.

I have been dealing with this for 3 years and EDGE still will not address it.

There is one specific 2002 OS when converted to serial switching does not work, of coarse its the 15186006, Ross is aware of it and is looking into it for me when he has some time.

For now it's all hit or miss the CTS is a great monitor and works great on 2003/2004 LB7 and 2004.5/2005 LLY for switching.

I have probably spent 40 hours over the last three years trying to get a working combination for my customers, and every time it's the same thing, hours and hours of wasted time supporting another companies product that they refuse to fix.

:mad:

MAXX IT OUT

<<<IT WORKS
Mar 1, 2013
Des Moines, Iowa
I just wonder if we update the computer to the 03-04 OS that works with the CTS, if we could turn off the security light or will we still have to change the vin to get the CTS to recognize the CTS.

Chevy1925

don't know sh!t about IFS
Staff member
Oct 21, 2009
Phoenix Az
i ran a 03-04 os and never got a security light. My a/c did not work how ever. that seems to be the issue if you swap to a 03-04 OS. everything else worked just fine though.