Change Engine Oil Soon Message Premature

NWDude

Jul 11, 2015
I had my oil changed about 500 miles ago and I am already getting a Change Engine Oil Soon indication. I thought I checked after the oil change and it was reset. Any ideas as to what would cause this?
I'm new to this site. I live in Renton Washington and drive a 2009 GMC Sierra 2500 with a Duramax. I look forward to learning a lot of information and contributing as much as I can. Thanks

DAVe3283

Heavy & Slow
Sep 3, 2009
Boise, ID, USA
The oil life system doesn't reset itself. You have to reset it when you change the oil. I can't think of anything that would cause it to go to 0% in 500 miles, so I bet you just didn't get it reset after the change. I'd reset it and go, 500 miles is nothing to worry about.

THEFERMANATOR

LEGALLY INSANE
Feb 16, 2009
ZEPHYRHILLS, FL
It is not uncommon for LMM's tuned with EFILIVE to have problems with the oil life dropping rapidly. So far I've been lucky, but I have 1 that will drop in about 800 miles of driving, all the others take over 10K miles before they will pop the change engine oil message. If the trucks stock, then it sounds like it didn't get reset, or it is staying in regen.