CDL Wrecker Question

lts1ow

Needs moar PAH!
May 14, 2012
NJ
My friend and I are trying to figure out the rules for CDL on in town police towing. Basic equipment; 2013 F450 wrecker, and a international flatbed.

This link, is rather confusing
http://towprofessional.com/article/towing-and-a-commercial-drivers-license/

Cause why does the GVWR of a vehicle being towed matter?

State of NJ rules...
http://www.state.nj.us/mvc/Commercial/CommercialDriver.htm

And my take... according to the state of NJ, you do not need a CDL.

Class A would mean you have a F450 or higher on your wheel lift, which, I doubt it could handle regardless. Otherwise, you would need to eclipse 26k lb in flatbed, and car on bed, while towing a 10k gvwr trailer/wheelift. I doubt you could hit 26k on that flatbed.

Class B is not applicable unless that truck is plated for 26k, which its not.

Its all friggen confusing and while I doubt local PD are gonna care, it is something I wanna get a grasp on.

PhilsLB7

Way Better Than Facebook
Jun 29, 2009
Tennessee
I agree with Dozerboy on this one. Contact your DOT or state department that handles CDL's. You want to make sure you get this right or you could be looking at some serious fines, loss of license, and/or loss of vehicle if you don't get it right.
Just out of curiosity why are you and your friend wanting to figure this out? Wanting to get into the towing business?

Dozerboy

Jun 23, 2009
TX of course
I ya'll know about the towing biz. Its pretty cut throat.

Sent from a ditch being dug near you using Tapatalk

lts1ow

Needs moar PAH!
May 14, 2012
NJ
I agree with Dozerboy on this one. Contact your DOT or state department that handles CDL's. You want to make sure you get this right or you could be looking at some serious fines, loss of license, and/or loss of vehicle if you don't get it right.
Just out of curiosity why are you and your friend wanting to figure this out? Wanting to get into the towing business?

Yes, basically my friend tows for an auto body shop and there is one other shop on the tow contract. We want to bump that shop off and have it be just be us and the auto body shop.

Problem is, we want to do it all by the books so that we have a good ground to stand on to ask the town to remove the other guy. However, it seems no local PD tow guys have CDL's or care enough to look into the rules on the stuff. Realistically, we would never get bothered as local PD wants the cars off the road anyway, but still, curious.

jlawles2

Jan 28, 2010
Danbury, TX
If its that much of a concern, just get the CDL. That way if needed you can tow whatever.

IIRC most states in the south require a recovery endorsement.

Dozerboy

Jun 23, 2009
TX of course
Cdls can be a pain. Some cops are harder on us because driving is our profession. No defensive driving, lose license over heath issues

Low366Dmax

Pin it to win it
Aug 23, 2013
NH
Ask long as your truck loaded is under 26,001 you do not need your class B. You can get your class B and be over 26,001. But if you want to tow anything over 10k your gonna want a class A

Sent from my iPhone

PhilsLB7

Way Better Than Facebook
Jun 29, 2009
Tennessee
Cdls can be a pain. Some cops are harder on us because driving is our profession. No defensive driving, lose license over heath issues

Dozerboy's got that right. In fact I totally forgot about the new medical certification requirement until this thread (Thank you OP). Now I've got to get a physical and submit the self certification by the 23rd of this month :mad:.

Here's what I'm talking about:
http://www.state.nj.us/mvc/Commercial/cdlmed.htm