Can't read balance rates with edge cts2

Veikra

Dec 19, 2011
Montreal, Canada
duramaxdiesel on this forum tried to read my balance rate but it all read 0.0
He has a edge cts2.

We did catch a code ive never seen before, p0016. Could a bad crank sensor mess with the injector balance rates not showing ?

What else could? I dont know if my truck has a tune or not.

Yngdmax92

Sep 26, 2013
Hopefully others chime in but from what I have seen, when the injectors start to weep/fail and cause minute amounts of fuel to leak by effect the idle not allowing the ecm to read balance rates.

TLyons90

Apr 22, 2013
Greenville, SC
I assume that all 8 showed 0.0? I also assume that the edge reads the guys truck you were borrowing it from balance rates no problem?

Veikra

Dec 19, 2011
Montreal, Canada
Hopefully others chime in but from what I have seen, when the injectors start to weep/fail and cause minute amounts of fuel to leak by effect the idle not allowing the ecm to read balance rates.

Could make sense, I know for FACT my 3 and 5 leak. Dont know if they leak when running thought.

The edge reads all 8 at zero but works on all of duramaxdiesel's trucks.

Funilly enough, I stumble on post on the brm engine of my volks, and someone said that a bad sync between crank and cam sensor will cause the injection to default to 0.0 balance rates. The volkswagen elves call this IQD, Injector quantity deviation.
Considering bosch made both systems.....

Guess im pulling that transmission and fixing what is probably a slack crank sensor reluctor wheel.

Need that crank code gone first.

duramaxdiesel

Dmax Nut
Oct 23, 2008
Montreal, Canada
Yeah that was a first for me. The CTS worked for me on my LMM before I unplugged it and checked his truck with it. I know if the idle isn't right on the LB7-LLY trucks, it'll read 0.0.

Blackmax123

Aug 2, 2014
central Pennsylvania
Guess im pulling that transmission and fixing what is probably a slack crank sensor reluctor wheel.

Need that crank code gone first.

No need to pull your tranny on a duramax to get to the crank sensor or reluctor wheel. They're both in the front. Now if your working on a vw diesel yes the tranny has to be pulled.

melms23

Jul 30, 2011
WI
Yeah that was a first for me. The CTS worked for me on my LMM before I unplugged it and checked his truck with it. I know if the idle isn't right on the LB7-LLY trucks, it'll read 0.0.

Good info, my lly would never show and I bet that's why.

Veikra

Dec 19, 2011
Montreal, Canada
No need to pull your tranny on a duramax to get to the crank sensor or reluctor wheel. They're both in the front. Now if your working on a vw diesel yes the tranny has to be pulled.

No, im talking on the dmax, you have to get the transmission out to get the last upper pan bolts out or the reluctor wheel wont come out.

Only way around this is the notch the casting about a 1/4 inch to slide it in and fill the gap with rtv

I will get the sensor out and check for play sometime this week and let you guys know.

Last edited:

Veikra

Dec 19, 2011
Montreal, Canada
No need to drop the pan to get the reluctor wheel out. If you unbolt it from the gear. You can slide the gear off. Then you'll have the room to get the reluctor wheel out.

I heard you needed to cut a slit in the upper pan to get it out. But good news.

Which is the best place to buy the front main seal installer tool ?

Veikra

Dec 19, 2011
Montreal, Canada
Split my cooling staff to clean and checked both reluctor/tone wheels. Both the cam and the crank are solid on their shaft.

I would need a high end scanner or efi live to check for pulses. Im not rulling out wiring. Still unable to get that crank/cam mismatch code. The edge is the only one that outputs it.

Veikra

Dec 19, 2011
Montreal, Canada
Was able to rescan everyday, and the code became a permanent P0016 thanks God ! This nicely narrows down the problem. The reluctor wheel is fine though, wiring issue to trace but that my forte anyways.

And to clear things up, the scanner ARE reading them AT 0. With this code on, the ecm defaults the injectors to 0mm balance rate.

More on this on the following weeks...

Last edited: