Can't hold the truck back

DMAXchris

It’s only temporary!
Apr 28, 2009
Natrona Heights PA
I've been battling this all year and it's starting to get me mad. I've replaced the power steering pump, hydro boost, front calipers, rotors, pads, lines, tried different tunes, bled the brakes, etc. The truck pushes through the brakes at anything above 5 psi/1800 rpm. It has a 1058 and I don't think that's the issue because my cousin has the same setup with a 472 and it'll get to 25 psi/2400 rpm before moving. The pedal goes to the firewall if you put too much force on it, but the truck stops fine. It makes a whining noise and pulses a little too.

All I wanna do is launch is this damn thing hard! I've never had that "oh shit! did I just break something?" kind of launch that you need for a great 60'. I'm sick of dumping money in it and wondered if anyone else has delt with a similar issue? Could my "new" PS pump not be making enough pressure?

MD_Max

Need More LLY's
May 2, 2014
I have this issue with mine, exact same symptoms. We just replaced everything on the rear of another truck and it fixed the issue. I was going to try it with mine as well.

DMAXchris

It’s only temporary!
Apr 28, 2009
Natrona Heights PA
The wining and pulsing sounds like something is up with your antilock brakes?

Thats what I'm starting to suspect. I did about 10 panic stops in my gravel driveway and its a little bit better. If I turn the wheel back and forth while holding the brakes, it'll hold much better.
I have this issue with mine, exact same symptoms. We just replaced everything on the rear of another truck and it fixed the issue. I was going to try it with mine as well.

The only thing that wasnt replaced was the rear calipers.
maybe try pulling an ABS fuse

Tried that already. lol

MD_Max

Need More LLY's
May 2, 2014
Thats what I'm starting to suspect. I did about 10 panic stops in my gravel driveway and its a little bit better. If I turn the wheel back and forth while holding the brakes, it'll hold much better.

The only thing that wasnt replaced was the rear calipers.

Tried that already. lol

What we found on ours was that the pins were frozen on the rear calipers, it showed that we were only getting half stopping power in the rear. We actually had to torch them out. I bet that's whats wrong with yours if two of ours are doing it.

DMAXchris

It’s only temporary!
Apr 28, 2009
Natrona Heights PA
What we found on ours was that the pins were frozen on the rear calipers, it showed that we were only getting half stopping power in the rear. We actually had to torch them out. I bet that's whats wrong with yours if two of ours are doing it.

If it acts weird at the track tonight I'll pull the rear wheels off and check them out. Thanks!

sickdiesel

Apr 22, 2010
Have you tried pulling the abs fuse? Mine was doing the same. Pulled that and can hold 35psi+ no problem now

DieselmafiaLLY

Keep Calm and Go Crazy
Apr 6, 2013
Ontario, Canada
I wonder if you need to bleed some air that could of gotten into the abs block need a techII to do that if it's not a converter issue.

you ever try the stainless braided brake lines I put those on and made a huge difference

Hot COCOAL

May the farce be with you
Jun 9, 2012
I wonder if you need to bleed some air that could of gotten into the abs block need a techII to do that if it's not a converter issue.

you ever try the stainless braided brake lines I put those on and made a huge difference

Technically you do need a Tech2 if there is air in the ABS control module, but a few panic stops that activate the ABS system "can" push it through and allow you to get it out with a standard system bleed from there.

Also, you can gravity bleed the system...
If you do it like a normal brake bleed and start at the passenger rear and just crack the bleeder open and leave the top off the master cylinder and let it stay like that for 30min, the line will bleed itself, it can take longer but it does work slowly but surely. Just keep an eye on the fluid level and don't let it get too low, grab a couple cold ones and keep the master full

Repeat on the drivers rear, front pass and then front drivers side. I've used this method on several Chevys and had excellent results.

Last edited: