Allison 6sp: Can you use an LBZ trans in an LMM?

yrkdmax

N00B00B
Nov 15, 2012
York, PA
I know the LBZ and LMM's are pretty much the same motor with the LMM moving over to the can type communications. And I believe I read that there is a slight difference with a speed sensor or something on the LBZ trans that the LMM doesn't have but could be mistaken hence why I'm asking the experts on here :thumb:

And how about the TCM? Can I do a full write on the TCM to flash it from LBZ to LMM specs?

Looooong story that i'll post later but trying to make lemonade with my lemons.:spit:

clrussell

pro-procrastinator
Sep 23, 2013
Trans is interchangeable.. However if you put an lmm trans in an lbz you need a bell housing with a speed sensor since lmm doesn't have that one.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

yrkdmax

N00B00B
Nov 15, 2012
York, PA
Trans is interchangeable.. However if you put an lmm trans in an lbz you need a bell housing with a speed sensor since lmm doesn't have that one.

Thank you sir, sorry for being so non specific.

May be swapping my LBZ stuff into an LMM donor body. Again loooong story.

So with that being said does anyone know how difficult and any obstacles I will run into doing this?

I know I'll either need to reflash my LBZ ECM to get the GMLAN enabled as an LMM or get an LMM ECM which may make more sense, but i'll have to talk to Idaho Rob as mine has his tune on it right now so not sure how that would affect that.

Different harness from ECM to body.

Looks like I may be able to reuse LBZ trans and TCM, but curious as to what does the LMM do for that speed sensor on the bell housing that the LBZ has?

I'm sure that there is a lot I'm missing...

The donor LMM has no engine and/ or trans so i'll be starting from scratch there...

clrussell

pro-procrastinator
Sep 23, 2013
The lmm trucks use the crank signal for the front sensor that's missing on the trans.

clrussell

pro-procrastinator
Sep 23, 2013
Also. I have plugged an 06 lbz tcm into an 07 lmm truck and drove it. (Was testing for another problem) it worked, but I think I remember mike saying something about it being different.

yrkdmax

N00B00B
Nov 15, 2012
York, PA
Also. I have plugged an 06 lbz tcm into an 07 lmm truck and drove it. (Was testing for another problem) it worked, but I think I remember mike saying something about it being different.

Good to know! I'll be sure to get an LMM calibration file on it so everything is happy.

Papapark

Mar 20, 2012
Regina, SK
I put a lmm into the lbz, just swapped bell housings. Had zero issues. Bought lmm and swapped it back, zero issues, until recently, but I think it has more to do with the 600+hp it needs to deal now with rather than the 465 the lbz laid down.