cam question

GSXRTURBO1

Feb 10, 2015
Detroit MI
On a gas engine, especially a 2 valver with overlap, a healthy cam has a unique unmistakable sound at idle speeds. It seems that gasoline 4 valvers with larger camshafts don't quite sound the same, although they too have a very unique sound at idle when enough lift/duration is being used with the cam choice, just not as radical as pushrod 2 valvers.

My question is this: do diesels react to camshafts the same way? For example, does a diesel cam with considerably more lift/duration then stock sound much different at idle? Does it sound different at all? If so, in what way?

Always learning.

Thomas

Cknight199

Aug 23, 2012
Salt Lake City, Utah
I have an aggressive wagler cam and noticed a different idle sound. I have heard of using an adjustable timing gear will really make a truck have a lope at idle.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Last edited:

DMAXchris

It’s only temporary!
Apr 28, 2009
Natrona Heights PA
The idle changed on my truc kwith a big Hamilton cam. Not lopey like a gasser, but its more pronounced and deep. Kinda sounds like a Cummins or piece of equiptment.

Yellow Jacket

WannaBe Sled Puller
Feb 11, 2009
Waterloo, IA
I run a pretty aggressive can, near .600 lift and a good amount of overlap for a diesel...it is installed with an adjustable can gear, sounds different, yes....but no lope whatsoever. There is no throttle body or intake vacuum, so the lope is not coming from a can, lol...

GSXRTURBO1

Feb 10, 2015
Detroit MI
I run a pretty aggressive can, near .600 lift and a good amount of overlap for a diesel...it is installed with an adjustable can gear, sounds different, yes....but no lope whatsoever. There is no throttle body or intake vacuum, so the lope is not coming from a can, lol...

good point.... how much of that unique sound from a long duration/high lift cam in a gasoline engine is attributed to intake vacuum variances? (I would think it's actually very little, and most of it comes from exhaust pulses/waves due to reversion, etc.) Is that same unique sound missing from a diesel because of no intake vacuum? Perhaps differences in i/e overlap between a gasoline 2 valve per cyl v.s. a diesel 4 valve per cyl??

Lots to think about ;) :thumb:

Last edited: