Cab Roof Lights

Sep 10, 2008
Morehead City, North Carolina
Who all is running aftermarket cab roof lights? I'd like to see a few pictures on old styles if possible (01-04). What company are you using? Any issues with leaks? I've read some very good reviews and bad for recon lights.

Thanks

n0useforaname

knows your mom
Apr 16, 2009
Seems most are using Recon lights....and either way you are cutting holes in your roof.....just make sure you silicon the crap out of it and you should be ok.

rtcook

<--- Slow
Mar 3, 2009
Carlisle, Ky
I know you said 01-04 but here's my 06 recon smoked lights. Put them on 2 months ago. Been pretty wet around here lately w/no leaks.

Attachments

• ddpic1.jpg
    ddpic1.jpg
    5.3 KB · Views: 74
  • ddpic2.jpg
    ddpic2.jpg
    24.4 KB · Views: 90

GCncsuHD

Go Pack
Aug 21, 2008
Statesville/Raleigh NC
You can check out mine at school if you want....

I have installed the old style Recon clears on my white truck, (ones with incandescent bulbs)
DSCN1424.jpg

DSCN1267.jpg

I was pleased with the quality of these, I did have a problem with them yellowing after about 6 months, heard it was a common problem, and that Recon had made a new set with better material, called them up and they shipped a new set out for free, no problems since, thats been about 3 years. No leaks, etc.

I installed their newer LED style on my Dmax, SHITTTTTTY quality, material was much thinner, screws must have been made of aluminum or something, I replaced them all with stainless screws, and the two outers leaked. Finally fixed that with a big batch of silicone. The wiring was really small gauge (leds don't need much I know) and would have been fine if you were replacing factory lights as they had 194 bulb plugs on the wires, but for my case I was hard wiring them...well those small wires were too small to use with crimp on quick disconnect wires, so I wound up soldering them in.
Look good though....although I wish the center bar was ... ... ... rather than the solid ............. that it is
DSCN1605.jpg

DSCN2062.jpg

I also installed a set of OEM style Pacers on my brother's girlfriends truck, Quality of those were great, I was pleased. No leaks, etc. Similar to my original Recons, except no problem with fading etc.
DSCN1247.jpg

DSCN1246.jpg

chevyburnout1

Fixing it till it breaks
Aug 25, 2008
Berthoud, CO
Has anyone ever installed cab lights on a Duramax without them originally? I did it to my '77 but water leaks in that truck are the least of my worries. Been debating doing this....

GCncsuHD

Go Pack
Aug 21, 2008
Statesville/Raleigh NC
Has anyone ever installed cab lights on a Duramax without them originally? I did it to my '77 but water leaks in that truck are the least of my worries. Been debating doing this....

:nod: Look above, all three of the trucks I posted I installed. None of which came with them originally. Never had a water leak into the cab, but the smoked ones on my burgundy truck did have a problem fogging up after a car wash.

Last edited:

TIM Z

Screwed by 0087s
Jan 17, 2009
Navarre, OH
Johnathan, get the Pacer Lights. They are exactly like the factory ones.

I replaced my factory ones with Pacer smoked LED Lights Love em and they dont leak.

BTW the damn factory ones say " made in China " on them:mad::mad:

. At night they look like the new LED lights on the NBS trucks.

cid_04161804.jpg

Last edited:

TIM Z

Screwed by 0087s
Jan 17, 2009
Navarre, OH
Tim where did you get your Pacer LED smoked lights and how much? Ive been poking around and havent been able to find them.

Cody, i bought them locally at ohio light truck parts. If you want i'd be more than happy to get you a set or give you the info you need to purchase them. IIRC they were about a buck and a half.

Last edited:
Sep 10, 2008
Morehead City, North Carolina
You can check out mine at school if you want....

I have installed the old style Recon clears on my white truck, (ones with incandescent bulbs)
DSCN1424.jpg

DSCN1267.jpg

I was pleased with the quality of these, I did have a problem with them yellowing after about 6 months, heard it was a common problem, and that Recon had made a new set with better material, called them up and they shipped a new set out for free, no problems since, thats been about 3 years. No leaks, etc.

I installed their newer LED style on my Dmax, SHITTTTTTY quality, material was much thinner, screws must have been made of aluminum or something, I replaced them all with stainless screws, and the two outers leaked. Finally fixed that with a big batch of silicone. The wiring was really small gauge (leds don't need much I know) and would have been fine if you were replacing factory lights as they had 194 bulb plugs on the wires, but for my case I was hard wiring them...well those small wires were too small to use with crimp on quick disconnect wires, so I wound up soldering them in.
Look good though....although I wish the center bar was ... ... ... rather than the solid ............. that it is
DSCN1605.jpg

DSCN2062.jpg

I also installed a set of OEM style Pacers on my brother's girlfriends truck, Quality of those were great, I was pleased. No leaks, etc. Similar to my original Recons, except no problem with fading etc.

Thanks for all the quick replies!!! Yeah you caught me! I'm trying to mimic yours. :rofl: It really does look good. Tim recommend me going with pacer. I like the look of the incandescent bulbs. In your first picture, with the clear lenses, can you get those with pacer instead of recon? I really really wanted clear lenses but amber at night. BTW- I came across this thread over on dp this afternoon about recon and feel a bit turned off towards there product...

http://www.dieselplace.com/forum/showthread.php?t=195181

TIM Z

Screwed by 0087s
Jan 17, 2009
Navarre, OH
Yeah Johnathon, i wasnt going to take a chance on Recon Quality. Try contacting Pacer or check out their website, I am 99% sure they make a clear light also!

1slow01Z71

Wannabe EFILive Tuner
Cody, i bought them locally at ohio light truck parts. If you want i'd be more than happy to get you a set or give you the info you need to purchase them. IIRC they were about a buck and a half.

Ill do a little more snooping around and see if I can find them. Pacers site doesnt list the PNs or anything and all the websites Ive found dont show LED ones much less smoked one, all the ones Ive found are factory replacement style. If you dont mind sending me the contact info for them Ill call em up and order a set if I cant find them online first. Thats one of the last things looks wise Im looking to do to my truck.

Edit:
Ended up finding them on Summit of all places, Tim can you confirm these are the ones you have, Im sure they are but just want to make sure before I order them.
http://store.summitracing.com/partd...253S&N=700+401512+4294746182+115&autoview=sku
Pacer 20-253S Smoked with Amber LEDs.

No vendors sell these right?

Last edited:

GCncsuHD

Go Pack
Aug 21, 2008
Statesville/Raleigh NC
My smoked ones fog up in the car wash, if i had it to do over i would have installed the amber ones .
Yep same here, although I fixed the fogging problem...I would still like to replace them with a regular incandescent type, I didn't know Pacer was making any ones other than the OEM Amber style...
Thanks for all the quick replies!!! Yeah you caught me! I'm trying to mimic yours. :rofl: It really does look good. Tim recommend me going with pacer. I like the look of the incandescent bulbs. In your first picture, with the clear lenses, can you get those with pacer instead of recon? I really really wanted clear lenses but amber at night. BTW- I came across this thread over on dp this afternoon about recon and feel a bit turned off towards there product...

http://www.dieselplace.com/forum/showthread.php?t=195181
:rofl: Yea, I was really dissatisfied with the new LED style recons on my burgundy truck....I probably would have called to complain, but at the time I installed the lights it was my brother's truck, after I bought the truck off him, he didn't have the receipt or anything so I just didn't care.

The old style recon's though, I was very happy with the quality all except for the yellowing after 6 months...But one quick call to Recon got a brand new set shipped for free, and they have been on my truck for 3 years now with no yellowing since.

Unless I was to find an old style set of Recons, I will never buy from them again, even then I can't be assured whether they were 1st run (yellowed) or 2nd run (great).

TIM Z

Screwed by 0087s
Jan 17, 2009
Navarre, OH
Hey Cody, i just looked at the Box and you have the correct part number. Thats a good price too!

They install the same as the factory ones, but you wuill have to splice the wires as the factory wiring has bulb holders and the pacers have have wired LED lights. No biggie. Just for your Info.