Bst Bang for your buck 1911

leehype

Drunk with a Jeep problem
Aug 16, 2012
Taurus auto's have been slacking, I've had one guy show me one that was falling apart. Perhaps it's just their polymer frames, but one gun with 1000 rounds through it that is wore out, with no warranty repair or replacement is not a firearm manufacture I would recommend or buy. Their revolvers seem to be of reliable quality, but I stay away from their auto's.

Hot COCOAL

May the farce be with you
Jun 9, 2012
I like the springfield armory "loaded" model
its got a competition grade trigger and trigger group, match grade barrel, night sights, well true to its name its loaded, and if you hunt for the right store, can be had new for 689.00
Throw a kimpro 8 rd tac mag in the mag well and one in the hole cocked and locked and you got one hell of a fightin pistol
I love mine, and can put all nine in a 5" group @ 21ft (attack zone) in just over 4 sec.
Yes i time myself frequently.

jmaz268

Lead from the Front
May 20, 2010
Springfield IL
Only the crack head has mentioned Springfield.......

Seriously what are you people thinking.....

Springfield was one of the first to build the 1911.....and then being around still says alot.

I personally have shot a couple of them in combat situations....

I wont buy anything else than springfield.......Plus I have an army buddy that extends the discount to others.

Slammed2007Lbz

Super Spicy Tunaz
Feb 1, 2009
NE Ohio
Taurus builds one hell of a 1911 to whoever said they are polymer plastic obviously has never handled one they are the same as all other 1911's and made out of steel and or stainless. Also they have a LIFETIME warranty just like all there guns so im not sure how anyone could rule Taurus as not being a good gun:confused: They have came along way and my loaded model taurus 1911 has had 400-500 rnds through it with never one misfire. But if you want the best in quality and resale value then buy a Springfield, Colt, or a Kimber none of the other ones will hold their value even close to those 3.

JoshH

Daggum farm truck
Staff member
Vendor/Sponsor
Feb 14, 2007
Texas!!!
I'm a Springfield fan as well. I have a Springfield GI 45 that I paid around $450 for about 7 or 8 years ago. I haven't put too many rounds through it lately, but when I got it, I bet I put 2-3000 rounds through it in the first 6 months I had it. I would go out just about every weekend and shoot at least a box of 100 through it. Never once have I had a single stoppage of any kind no matter what kind of ammo I ran in it. The only gripe I have about it is it sometimes throws brass on top of my head.

leehype

Aug 16, 2012
Taurus builds one hell of a 1911 to whoever said they are polymer plastic obviously has never handled one they are the same as all other 1911's and made out of steel and or stainless. Also they have a LIFETIME warranty just like all there guns so im not sure how anyone could rule Taurus as not being a good gun:confused: They have came along way and my loaded model taurus 1911 has had 400-500 rnds through it with never one misfire. But if you want the best in quality and resale value then buy a Springfield, Colt, or a Kimber none of the other ones will hold their value even close to those 3.

I said it, and I said I have handled a gun that was wore out, and they would not honor the lifetime warranty. That is a good enought reason for me to avoid them. What good is a warranty if it isn't worth the paper it's written on? I'm not trying to talk smack, just sharing an experience. Perhaps this is a rare treatment that dealt more with one person in customer service having a bad day, but it was enough to kill a few individuals motivation to purchase anything from Taurus.

dieselmike247

Aug 9, 2012
jacksonville, NC
I have my Sig Sauer 2022 .40cal that I CC everyday(except on base haha) I have had two Sigs and you can kill em'! Or if your into shooting underwater a glock lol But you cant beat Sig's customer servise. I bought a P229 from a buddy and sent it in to have it checked out and they replaced the barrell and the triger assembly free of charge just the cost of shipping.

Pony Express

Back on the road
Dec 30, 2010
Southern CT
for the $6-800 price range I would try a Springfield. They are pretty good.

I personally have heard too much bad (as well as a lot of good, which leaves me confused) about Kimber to buy one of their 1911s.

If you're willing to dump an extra $150 or so into it you could look around the a Colt XSE, I have heard nothing but rave reviews about them and it felt very solid when I held it.

Bonestock

Aug 9, 2010
Worland Wy
Best bang for your buck definitely baby dolls in Dallas tx! Oh shit I forgot to read the rest of the sentence 1911! Kimber gets my vote!:roflmao:

flyinelvis11

May 11, 2010
VG, IL (because my wife does)
i have around $725 in my springfield after the hogue grips and 2 chip mccormick 8 round mags

reagans10thbirthbay009.jpg
[/IMG]

Slammed2007Lbz

Super Spicy Tunaz
Feb 1, 2009
NE Ohio
I said it, and I said I have handled a gun that was wore out, and they would not honor the lifetime warranty. That is a good enought reason for me to avoid them. What good is a warranty if it isn't worth the paper it's written on? I'm not trying to talk smack, just sharing an experience. Perhaps this is a rare treatment that dealt more with one person in customer service having a bad day, but it was enough to kill a few individuals motivation to purchase anything from Taurus.

All i understand im a little shocked because i have seen hundereds of guns sent back to taurus with a no questions asked warranty! Never seen one turned down. They build quality cheap firearms is the only reason i defended them. Im not a huge fan of thiers but do think they are the best gun possible in there price point

leehype

Aug 16, 2012
All i understand im a little shocked because i have seen hundereds of guns sent back to taurus with a no questions asked warranty! Never seen one turned down. They build quality cheap firearms is the only reason i defended them. Im not a huge fan of thiers but do think they are the best gun possible in there price point

I apologize if I sounded mean, I did not mean to, I was merely convening that experience.

i have around $725 in my springfield after the hogue grips and 2 chip mccormick 8 round mags

Very nice. The only thing I have to complain about on mine is I didn't get the brushed metal.

ria.jpg

I have in the neighborhood of 600 in this little guy, and it is just a blast to shoot (oh crap, pun, huzah:D)

Hot COCOAL

Jun 9, 2012
Only the crack head has mentioned Springfield.......

Seriously what are you people thinking.....

Springfield was one of the first to build the 1911.....and then being around still says alot.

I personally have shot a couple of them in combat situations....

I wont buy anything else than springfield.......Plus I have an army buddy that extends the discount to others.

:roflmao:
now im a crack head, thats awesome

Hot COCOAL

Jun 9, 2012

Dude guns wear out, plain and simple. You dont buy one, shoot it for years, and expexct the manufacturer to rebuild it for you. However if during the firearms life there were a defect in craftsmanship i am sure springfield would honor that repair and or replacement.

leehype

Aug 16, 2012
Dude guns wear out, plain and simple. You dont buy one, shoot it for years, and expexct the manufacturer to rebuild it for you. However if during the firearms life there were a defect in craftsmanship i am sure springfield would honor that repair and or replacement.

The manufacture under that knife was Taurus, not Springfield. And the gun in question had less than 1000 rounds through it (my understanding of a break in or just over the break in period for a new semi automatic) and less than a year from purchase date. I don't expect to get a replacement new gun after wearing a hole in the barrel, but I do expect at least to have the parts of said firearm to out last it's purchase price in ammo. And I do not feel this is a difficult bar to reach.

I have heard no negative reviews of Springfield's customer service.

Hot COCOAL

Jun 9, 2012
Oh, wowsers! That is crap, im not a Taurus fan. Springfield, kimber, ruger, glock, s&w. Remmington(r1 1911), would be the manufactures in my "reasonable cost and great quality" catagory. If you want to spend ridiculous ammounts of money you can go to dan wesson, nighthawk, or guncrafter industries, just a few high end names.

SmokeShow

Nov 30, 2006
Lawrenceburg, KY
I hope the OP won't mind me butting in a little bit...

Are there any "value priced" double stack or wide grip 1911/2011 offerings? $1200+++ is not acceptable for an STI when I can buy a polymer pistol just as capable for half that or better. But I do LOVE the ergonomics and look/style of the 1911. I just don't like their minuscule capacity.

Thoughts?

Dan@PPE

Diesel Enthusiast
Aug 8, 2006
So Cal.
Rock Island Armory

They are made in the Philippines but from what I have read they are forged using the Colt dies from the WWII era.

They also fit your budget and function just fine from personal experience.

^winner

The std model go for $399 and the tactical goes for $499 or so... Great gun and you have plenty left over to AMMO!

RENODMAX

Dead Wrong
Mar 4, 2008
Id go springfield. I like their 1911s and mine hasn't failed me yet. Kimbers can be quite picky about which ammo you feed them, google it. Many people wind up polishing the feed ramps and throat etc. If I pay 2k for a gun it damn well better shoot without FTF or FTE. You may wanna check your state laws however as here in NV it is illegal to have a firearm in your posession while actively bowhunting.
IMO a revolver is a better field gun anyway.

AdaMax

Nov 26, 2010
Caldwell , Oh
I ended up buying a taurus 992 22l / 22mag for me to take in he woods bowhunting . I am still going to get a 1911 though .

In Ohio you have to have your concealed carry to take a pistol with you bowhunting ( I think but I will find out for sure in a few weeks I am taking the course )