Broken Crankshaft Count?

Please pick the one that you had break

• Total voters

EDP

<<<< Miss The Ol Girl
Just out of curiosity how many have broken there cranks at the #2 Rod Journal?

I know of many but people never seem to post up there failures so time and time again no matter the build etc..... we here about it but yet never seem to see people post about it on forums?
Why is this?

Not looking to start a bash thread or my engine builder has zero failures or this engine builder has all kinds of failures just looking to see an actual count of failures if possible.
The more we learn together the further we can advance the industry!!

fishsmith

May 14, 2008
Monroe, LA
This is where mine broke. Build consisted of tts rods, 20 over injectors, 20 over delipped pistons, headstuds, mainstuds, dual cp3, and 66mm turbo. stock balancer I had been pulling a trailer earlier in the day but was only going around 35 when it finally broke.

Attachments

• IMG00029-20091208-1019.jpg
    IMG00029-20091208-1019.jpg
    493 KB · Views: 573
  • IMG00030-20091208-1019.jpg
    IMG00030-20091208-1019.jpg
    472.5 KB · Views: 631

MarkBroviak

DMax Junkie
May 25, 2008
Danville Indiana
I have personally seen 3 broken ones from 500hp to 850hp with no rhyme or reason to it. It has been troubling me and I have been trying to figure out why this is randomly happening. I had a thought about it being an issue with the firing order causing a harmonics issue and now I see that you guys have a new billet camshaft that has a different firing order... Looks like I am not the only one thinking about this theory. Good food for thought, but how do you prove it?

duramaxdiesel

Dmax Nut
Oct 23, 2008
Montreal, Canada
I broke one too on my LB7. For this build I just dropped my spare crank off to get magnafluxed and then it's off to get cryoed. Hope it helps.

Last edited:

Noreaster

Jun 13, 2007
Cape Cod,MA
That's it?? No one else? I believe this is more widespread than we know.

Theres more failures that don't get posted rather than get posted to protect companies reputation.

Or you can be a real asshole like Nick D'Amico & blame an engine failure on another part on the motor rather than say it was a part from his tuning buddy that actually caused it.

TheBac

Why do I keep doing this?
Staff member
Apr 19, 2008
Mid Michigan
Im curious how many of these broken cranks were balanced beforehand, or if they were untouched OEM.

heartbeatcanada was one of the first ones. Have to take the way-back machine to remember the year.

duratothemax

<--- slippery roads
Aug 28, 2006
Wyoming
Im curious how many of these broken cranks were balanced beforehand, or if they were untouched OEM.

heartbeatcanada was one of the first ones. Have to take the way-back machine to remember the year.

yep! I think that was mid/late 05. Oddly he started to split the block main bearing webbing too if I remember correctly...?

ben

TheBac

Why do I keep doing this?
Staff member
Apr 19, 2008
Mid Michigan
I think you're right. I found his carnage thread when I was searching "next weakest link" over there. God, was that an ugly mess. Wiped that motor out completely.

I ask about balancing because I was amazed at just how much weight the guys had to add to my crank to balance the LBZ rods to the LB7 crank, not to mention how much grinding they had to do to the rods to match them up. Just how far "off" is allowable with the OEM balance values, anyways?

Last edited: