Blew up a cp3 today

Moneywellspent

Dec 27, 2013
Idaho
Well over the course of the weekend installed a Exergy 10mm that I bought used from some guy back east. He claims it had very little use and was in perfect condition

So I drove it lightly for about 20 miles after I got it installed and everything then finally went out to do some logs on a small tune and all I hear is a pop fallowed by the truck dying out.

I coasted to a safe spot and took off my intake and air filter and all I see is a puddle of fuel in the valley and it's poring out of the truck but I can't see where the fuel is coming from with the lift pump running or cranking it over.

So I guess tomorrow I'm going to swap back to the stock pump and pray it didn't take the injectors with it, but before I start a paypal dispute over receiving a bad pump how should I go about this? Like how can I make a solid case proving it was the pump? The log says rail pressure just dropped like a rock once we heard the pop.

What can I do to get my money back? Not saying it's 100% the pump but all the signs are there. I'm just going to assume that's the problem for now because I just naturally plan for the worst.

DAVe3283

Heavy & Slow
Sep 3, 2009
Boise, ID, USA
Well, having the log is a very good thing for you here. Next step is pull the pump, and look for carnage. If there is carnage, I'd say you have a really strong case.

Hopefully your injectors are OK, because there is virtually no way you'll get anything out of them toward new injectors, sadly.

unionmax481

hot rodder
Aug 8, 2014
lebanon in
I would say if you have fuel in the valley the pump is thrashed i had an II pump blow apart on me after about 3months it shot the freeze plugs out along with chunks of other parts

Moneywellspent

Dec 27, 2013
Idaho
Did you gift the money?

No, right from the start I knew it would be a smart idea to pay the extra fee on this item.

Well, having the log is a very good thing for you here. Next step is pull the pump, and look for carnage. If there is carnage, I'd say you have a really strong case.

Hopefully your injectors are OK, because there is virtually no way you'll get anything out of them toward new injectors, sadly.

Im thinking the pump seized up or something but from what I can tell it was fuel coming from the pump because non of the fuel lines leaked at all. Might be a freeze plug but I'm not 100% sure yet. I don't want to jump to conclusions just yet till the pumps on the bench.

Last edited:

IOWA LLY

Yes, its really me
Feb 23, 2007
If you gifted the money your SOL.....

Sorry but might as well save yourself the headache of arguing and start saving for a new one.

Sent from my SM-N920V using Tapatalk

DAVe3283

Heavy & Slow
Sep 3, 2009
Boise, ID, USA
If you payed the fee, have a log of the failure, and the pump is physically/obviously failed, you might be able to get your money back.

However, they might be able to argue that it was a performance part, used, no warranty, blah blah blah, and since you got some miles out of it, they aren't responsible.

IMO, I would try and get my money back, but I am not 100% sure you can. Worth trying, though.

Either way, post pictures of the carnage once the pump is out.

ALLY Fox

Old Man Truck
Dec 14, 2010
Oregon 7S5
Could have been a perfectly good pump but if it sat around on his shelf for any amount of time, especially if not sealed with clean diesel in it then all bets are off. A used CP3 or CP4 pump should be considered a core regardless of how well it worked when it came off the original truck, same with injectors.

Ne-max

I like turtles
Nov 15, 2011
Lincoln, Ne
Could have been a perfectly good pump but if it sat around on his shelf for any amount of time, especially if not sealed with clean diesel in it then all bets are off. A used CP3 or CP4 pump should be considered a core regardless of how well it worked when it came off the original truck, same with injectors.

Exactly

AJH

Sep 7, 2015
Memphis TN
I just don't buy used parts at all I feel like I got too much to lose

I learned my lesson on a $50 part the hard way. The money wasn't the big deal obviously just the fact that somebody wouldn't be a man of their word pissed me off and soured me.:mad:

Chevy1925

don't know sh!t about IFS
Staff member
Oct 21, 2009
Phoenix Az
first thing i would have done is sent it out for testing or talked with the seller about having it tested.

Samething i did with that guy that was selling "new LBZ 60% over tips" he bought from some place going out of business. sent them off to DDP to have them tested and they checked out. if they didnt, i would have had something to stand on. you dont have much to stand on here, specially if you sent it as "a gift" or "friends/family" like they call it now.

Moneywellspent

Dec 27, 2013
Idaho
Well I found freeze plugs in my valley so the pump went bye bye. Took the fill tube off and you can see this weren't so good with the gear either. Now at this point it's looking like I'm going to have to take the engine out at see how bad things really went now that I know the cp3 gear is missing teeth. Crazy thing is this was on tune 3 so I can only imagine how bad it would have been on a bigger tune.