Big injector tuning

MarkBroviak

DMax Junkie
May 25, 2008
Danville Indiana
Are all the Bosch Motorsport ones 8 hole?

No, have 9 hole also. Single or dual plain also. My brand new 100% over injectors were in the $6,500. range iirc. That was buying brand new injectors and then having them done to 100% balance and blue printed. When you go past 250% it jumps the price over $7,500. iirc because of the redman work done to the body to help feed the very large nozzles. Not cheap but worth every penny in my book.

sickdiesel

Apr 22, 2010
No, have 9 hole also. Single or dual plain also. My brand new 100% over injectors were in the $6,500. range iirc. That was buying brand new injectors and then having them done to 100% balance and blue printed. When you go past 250% it jumps the price over $7,500. iirc because of the redman work done to the body to help feed the very large nozzles. Not cheap but worth every penny in my book.

x2! worth every penny.

the number I posted was just for the work, that is you sending them injectors to have worked over.

MarkBroviak

DMax Junkie
May 25, 2008
Danville Indiana
x2! worth every penny.

the number I posted was just for the work, that is you sending them injectors to have worked over.

Exactly! That's why I posted what my whole new set cost me and they were stock nozzles done to 100%. I am now running the dual plain 8-hole Motorsports nozzles at 200% over.:thumb:

x MadMAX DIESEL

<<<< No Horsepower
Dec 30, 2008
Lexington, Ky
Might be a stupid question... Is a duel "plain" like holes arrayed and stacked with maybe different angles? Or maybe just a 2 step hole honing? Lol

MarkBroviak

DMax Junkie
May 25, 2008
Danville Indiana
Might be a stupid question... Is a duel "plain" like holes arrayed and stacked with maybe different angles? Or maybe just a 2 step hole honing? Lol

Yes they are a dual 4 hole design on different angles, so 4 holes are a little lower and the other 4 are on a little higher plain. They are definitely sensitive to tip placement a chamber configuration. In a normal stock piston style setup up, 4 holes are in bowl and 4 are just above the lip so I never really cared for the way they ran in a street truck but didn't matter for competition truck. My thought was with this oval bowl it wouldn't be as much of an issue and it hasn't been.

S Phinney

Aug 15, 2008
Quncy, Fl
Yes they are a dual 4 hole design on different angles, so 4 holes are a little lower and the other 4 are on a little higher plain. They are definitely sensitive to tip placement a chamber configuration. In a normal stock piston style setup up, 4 holes are in bowl and 4 are just above the lip so I never really cared for the way they ran in a street truck but didn't matter for competition truck. My thought was with this oval bowl it wouldn't be as much of an issue and it hasn't been.

Are you positive that they have different spray angles Mark? I was told different by some guys.

Sent from my XT1080 using Tapatalk 2

Kappa9012

MAN.... I Broke it again.
Aug 5, 2008
Peoria Il
why spray out of the bowl? At work we see elevated exhaust temps, severe carbon build up, increased engine out soot, and washing the rings when you spray out of the bowl.

juddski88

Freedom Diesel
Jul 1, 2008
Chesterfield, Mass.
He was saying that in a normal stock piston setup that is the case, but that it is not ideal. In a piston with no lip or a very wide bowl design like some of the new diamond pistons, they would be more efficient

Jscherbs

PIN IT TO WIN IT!!!
Oct 27, 2009
Canton, MI
Sounds like the dual plane would be better suited for the oval chamber vs factory chamber... something to consider while weighing in on piston upgrades.

Last edited:

TheBac

Why do I keep doing this?
Staff member
Apr 19, 2008
Mid Michigan
guys, its "plane", not "plain".

Wasnt the point of larger injectors to keep the fuel in the bowl using a smaller duration shot? So why would you want to fire them outside the bowl? You'd be just asking for trouble doing that, as Kappa said.

If/when someone using Jon's pistons opens their engine up to check things, I'd love to see pics of the spray pattern on the pistons, including the injector size and tuning parameters.

S Phinney

Aug 15, 2008
Quncy, Fl
Yes, that is what I was told by Exergy and I have piston spray pattern proof that they are on 2 different plains.

I understand the two plains but was questioning the different angles in the two plains. I had understood there was just two plains but the same angles.

Sent from my XT1080 using Tapatalk 2

Kappa9012

MAN.... I Broke it again.
Aug 5, 2008
Peoria Il
guess we need mark to clarify, now that I re-read his post you might be right about same angle.

Regardless you don't want fuel spraying outside of the bowl.