Best Quiet Tone Exhaust

LBZ-DURAMAX

Jared
Feb 12, 2015
NW Ohio
I know this has been asked before but people have so many definitions of quiet ;) I want the truck to have the least amount of drone possible on the highway and about as quiet as stock idling and cruising through town. At the same time I dont mind if you can hear her a mile away when Im getting on it :D From what Ive read the Diamond Eye Quiet Tone may be a good contender for me... what do you guys think? Another thought I was thinking about was borrowing Cornell's idea and putting in a 4in mbrp straight pipe that would neck down to the factory muffler but also have an electric cutout before the muffler so it could be straight piped at the flick of a switch... what do you guys think of that?

Edit- What about FTE Resonators?

Last edited:

LBZ-DURAMAX

Jared
Feb 12, 2015
NW Ohio
I have a MBRP Quiet Tone muffler here in the garage waiting to go on my LB7

Let me know how you like it ;)

Put a stack coming out of the bed with stock muffler :thumb:

Your joking right? Yes this is a serious question never ridden in a truck with stacks lol

Twins take a lot of the drone out

I guess should've mentioned twins are out of the question right now and I kinda like singles :D

DAVe3283

Heavy & Slow
Sep 3, 2009
Boise, ID, USA
I have the Diamond Eye Quiet Tone, and I am very pleased with it. Just a hair louder than my brother's stock truck at idle and in town (not really noticeable). No drone on the highway at all. When towing heavy (10,000+ lbs behind the truck), you can get some drone climbing hills. If you stand on it, though, it does get loud. Really loud.

Overall, it sounds like exactly what you are looking for.

LBZ-DURAMAX

Jared
Feb 12, 2015
NW Ohio
I have the Diamond Eye Quiet Tone, and I am very pleased with it. Just a hair louder than my brother's stock truck at idle and in town (not really noticeable). No drone on the highway at all. When towing heavy (10,000+ lbs behind the truck), you can get some drone climbing hills. If you stand on it, though, it does get loud. Really loud.

Overall, it sounds like exactly what you are looking for.

Sure does! That's what I was thinking it would be like thanks for your input! :hug:

MarkBroviak

DMax Junkie
May 25, 2008
Danville Indiana
My wife's truck came with a Magnaflow 4" with muffler and it is quiet as a church mouse on the highway but lets you know it's there when you smack the skinny pedal! I absolutely love it!!!:thumb:

LBZ-DURAMAX

Jared
Feb 12, 2015
NW Ohio
My wife's truck came with a Magnaflow 4" with muffler and it is quiet as a church mouse on the highway but lets you know it's there when you smack the skinny pedal! I absolutely love it!!!:thumb:

Maybe I could hear it when I get down there For you to tune it :D.... Might just get an magnaflow straight pipe then add the muffler later.

Last edited:

jacobdewey

This won't last long...
Jan 14, 2011
It probably won't fit on your truck unless it's a longbed, but I use the 51" Donaldson muffler. It's stupid quiet.

minerigger

Dec 24, 2013
Casper, WY
I was going to run the fte resonator/muffler when I had the 366, but this stg2r is stupid quiet compared to it. It just screams on high idle which is sexy

Harbin_22

Dec 4, 2010
Southern Indiana
My Banks muffler completely killed all noise. Back in my young and dumb days, I had a cheeta that was crazy loud whistle and crackled a lot at WOT, with a banks muffle, it sounded like a stock truck with dpf still on. Kind of amazed me really. Went back to straight pipe though. Like a little noise

LBZ-DURAMAX

Jared
Feb 12, 2015
NW Ohio
I was going to run the fte resonator/muffler when I had the 366, but this stg2r is stupid quiet compared to it. It just screams on high idle which is sexy

Think I'm going to get the mbrp straight 4in and go from there... I've changed my mind three times tonight lol thanks guys :spit:

DaJokr

Slum Lord Extraordinaire
Mar 7, 2013
Prince George, BC, Canada

This is exactly what I like to hear as this was the setup I've been looking at. Does changing out the dp do anything for sound other then get rid of the dying owl scream at wot?

ken527

Dec 7, 2013
Fleetwood NC
I just removed my old MBRP 4" SS single exhaust it was starting to rust through where the tail pipe connects to the muffler.
I bought a Diamond Eye 4" SS single exhaust with no muffler. I have to say I was worried about the hangers not being welded to the pipe but it works out much better and fits a lot better with more clearance around cross members and full size spare tire.
I cut a section out as far forward as I could and installed a FTE resonator.
http://www.ftediesel.com/store/pc/viewPrd.asp?idproduct=89&idcategory=7
Great set up no drone at all. More quite than MBRP with a muffler, its close to stock sound,and I picked up 1 mpg not much but I did notice and increase.

LBZ-DURAMAX

Jared
Feb 12, 2015
NW Ohio
I just removed my old MBRP 4" SS single exhaust it was starting to rust through where the tail pipe connects to the muffler.
I bought a Diamond Eye 4" SS single exhaust with no muffler. I have to say I was worried about the hangers not being welded to the pipe but it works out much better and fits a lot better with more clearance around cross members and full size spare tire.
I cut a section out as far forward as I could and installed a FTE resonator.
http://www.ftediesel.com/store/pc/viewPrd.asp?idproduct=89&idcategory=7
Great set up no drone at all. More quite than MBRP with a muffler, its close to stock sound,and I picked up 1 mpg not much but I did notice and increase.

Cool I was looking at these because I ended up with a 4in straight pipe lol

Hot COCOAL

May the farce be with you
Jun 9, 2012
I had a Diamond Eye 4" midpipe back exhaust for a couple years, it didnt have the "quiet tone" option/resonator in the midpipe and it droned like a SOB!

Got real loud when the skinny pedal was applied and droned on the freeway and really resonated in the cab while towing...enough to rattle the plastic pillars and headliner

I switched it out for an MBRP 4" turn down exhaust system about 6-8mo ago and could t be happier!

I Love this MBRP exhaust, it has a real nice tone at idle and a smooth sounding note through the RPM's...and it doesn't drone at all on the freeway or when towing...it does get throaty when under laod, but to me it sounds like a nasty street truck should sound, and I like it:thumb: