Best motor to start with? LBZ or LMM?

gr8shot

Practically stock
Apr 28, 2009
Grand Island, NE
Kicking around the idea of a body swap for my 88 crew cab square body. On to a duramax chassis. Hoping to do LBZ or LMM whatever I can find that fits my budget and needs. From what research I've done, it seems like there's a few more options out there for support with LBZ than there are for LMM.

Curious what the thoughts here are. I know that minus the emissions, the motors are pretty close to the same. But what would be the best starting platform for a swap? Both equal, or one better than the other as far as wiring and tuning options?

2004LB7

Dec 15, 2010
Norcal
LMM is essentially an LBZ but with a DPF and tuning to match. LBZ would be easier but a deleted LMM would be basically the same

kidturbo

Piston Tester
Jul 21, 2010
Somewhere On The Ohio
www.marinemods.us
I'm a lmm fan for stand alone builds. Basically because it operates with a true high speed GMLAN, common architecture to all GM vehicles from mid 2000's clear up to present day. Just makes life easier when ya can swap, add or subtract on board modules between vehicle years.

The LBZ is a fine twin to the LMM, just missing a couple digits at birth IMO. And LMM has more used parts floating around out there also.

Sent from my SM-S901U using Tapatalk

Reactions: 2004LB7

gr8shot

Practically stock
Apr 28, 2009
Grand Island, NE
I'm a lmm fan for stand alone builds. Basically because it operates with a true high speed GMLAN, common architecture to all GM vehicles from mid 2000's clear up to present day. Just makes life easier when ya can swap, add or subtract on board modules between vehicle years.

The LBZ is a fine twin to the LMM, just missing a couple digits at birth IMO. And LMM has more used parts floating around out there also.

This is part of what I was curious about. Like could I run the electric shift tcase, make the remote start work, make the ABS function, maybe run some power + heated seats from an LMM and have them work, things like that. Keep a lot of the modern conveniences, and use the stock GM wiring instead of trying to invent ways to work around the factory modules to make it all work.

kidturbo

Piston Tester
Jul 21, 2010
Somewhere On The Ohio
www.marinemods.us
If you incorporate the emobolizer and bcm into your swap, could even run a push button and key fob from newer model. Along with anti-lock or what ever ya wish. There is 2 networks on board, hi and low speed. All the stuff like windows, door locks, stereo all speak on Low Speed. While ECM, TCM, GPCM, Antilock modules all connected to the High Speed. The BCM is the bridge or gateway between them.