Best Injector Cleaner?

05DMAX87

Aug 17, 2015
so, I replaced my fuel filter, and after only about 2k miles, the truck is saying it needs to be changed again. I have noticed that the mileage isn't great on, and it got me to thinking that after it sat a while, it cant hurt to run a good fuel system cleaner. so, im looking for some opinions on what to use, and what to stay away from. I know lucas is always a good choice, but what about some of these other products that claim to clean the slime, and stuff from fuel tanks and systems. any input is greatly appreciated!!!!!!!

Awenta

Sep 28, 2014
CT
http://www.amazon.com/dp/B00BK7LR36?tag=viglink20963-20

It doesn't go through the tank though.

Most of that crap is snake oil. I'm pretty sure the fuel filter is a hour/mileage/pressure reminder.

If it comes on it's usually a leak or restriction somewhere. Check the filter head and prime pump. And the soft lines. Try reseting it?

Sent from my SM-N910V using Tapatalk

x MadMAX DIESEL

<<<< No Horsepower
Dec 30, 2008
Lexington, Ky
http://www.amazon.com/dp/B00BK7LR36?tag=viglink20963-20

It doesn't go through the tank though.

Most of that crap is snake oil. I'm pretty sure the fuel filter is a hour/mileage/pressure reminder.

If it comes on it's usually a leak or restriction somewhere. Check the filter head and prime pump. And the soft lines. Try reseting it?

Yeah that's the best stuff to use. Just run supply and return to a small container with it mixed with fuel till it runs out

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

ChevyMax56

Jun 29, 2015
SE Kansas
I used this guys instructions from duramaxforum when I did mine. The cleaner helped mine out my really rough idle when I stopped at stop lights.

How To: DIY - Injector cleaning
This is a great way to clean your injectors and improve your balance rates.
First go to your gm dealer and buy the GM upper engine fuel injector cleaner p/n 88861802, about 15 bucks. This CAN NOT be run through the fuel tank. To run this cleaner you have to use the quick disconnects at the rear of the engine.

1. Remove the quick disconnects at the rear of the engine, you will need a set of quick disconnect line tools. the return line is 3/8 and the suction line is 1/2.

2. Once lines are disconnected, install rubber fuel hose to the lines with hose clamps. You will need 3/8 hose and 1/2, about 5 ft of each.

3. use 1/2 gallon of clean diesel fuel and mix 13 oz. of the injector cleaner in a container (I used an old rotella 1 gal. bottle)

4. put both the return and suction lines into the container and place container out of the way of engine. (sat mine on a step ladder next to truck). you can set it on the floor but will need about 8-10 ft of hose.

5. start the engine, check for leaks. run all of the the diesel fuel in the container out, will take time. (mine sat at idle for 1.5 hours). if the truck dies, no big deal, just prime it once you reconnect the fuel lines.

6. once fuel is gone, reconnect the fuel lines, should hear a snap. and done. make sure to check for leaks when finished.

hope this helps some people. my balance rates are much better now, and the engine runs much smoother. maybe try this first if you think you have an injector going bad.

PhilsLB7

Way Better Than Facebook
Jun 29, 2009
Tennessee
Here is a really good video I found on YouTube. Pretty much follows the written instructions above. I'm more of a visual learner so I understand where you're coming from wyoscout.

[YOUTUBE]SwUVfaAVUV8[/YOUTUBE]

holyshitbatman

holyshitbatman
Mar 17, 2015
Albuquerque new mexico
Ok heres something to throw in the mix i recently picked up for scheap a diesel tune machine haven't tried it yet due to i need to order the fluid and a fitting adapter but supposedly it will clean the entire top end has anyone used one before or heard of it. Here this is.what it is just an older model http://www.shopequipmentandsupplies.net/DieselTune.htm. .any help with this or coments would be appreciated thanks.sorry for jumping in on this post just seems to go with it.

fastpunker

adrenaline junkie
Feb 7, 2012
Lake Havasu City, AZ
How many of you have used the ac delco stuff in the last two years?

the reason I ask is after trying to find the diesel specific stuff last year I discovered a few things.... first is the diesel specific stuff is not made any more. the bottle all of you are looking at is for gas engines. (look up part numbers and treads about it). I didn't want to believe what the dealer was telling me so I went home and researched it for a few days. Stupidly on AC Delcos hand, they took the two separate part numbers and ended up using the one from the diesel specific stuff (hints why it shows up in searches under that part number). I am not saying that is doesn't work, just I would look at other options that are diesel specific. A guy from another forum used it recently and said it worked but still doesn't make me feel warm and fuzzy that they use the same stuff for diesel and gas.

I am in no way trying to endorse this product, but this what a gm diesel tech recommended me and I have had good luck with it.... turbo seems to be louder and I seem to hold rail a bit better after using it. You do the same treatment/process as stated above with basically bottle feeding the truck with 1/2 gallon of diesel and the full quart hooked to the lines behind the turbo...

attachment.php

Awenta

Sep 28, 2014
CT
Never seen that before

For every one of these magic cleaners there's a hundred more.

OregonDMAX

NOT IN OREGON, NO DURAMAX
Apr 28, 2013
Goodyear, AZ
How many of you have used the ac delco stuff in the last two years?

the reason I ask is after trying to find the diesel specific stuff last year I discovered a few things.... first is the diesel specific stuff is not made any more. the bottle all of you are looking at is for gas engines. (look up part numbers and treads about it). I didn't want to believe what the dealer was telling me so I went home and researched it for a few days. Stupidly on AC Delcos hand, they took the two separate part numbers and ended up using the one from the diesel specific stuff (hints why it shows up in searches under that part number). I am not saying that is doesn't work, just I would look at other options that are diesel specific. A guy from another forum used it recently and said it worked but still doesn't make me feel warm and fuzzy that they use the same stuff for diesel and gas.

The stuff awenta linked in post 2 is correct, it says gas only but its wrong. Now you have to use it like the instructions say you have to mix it with diesel if you dont, yeah you will screw shit up. It's still the best stuff though.

fastpunker

adrenaline junkie
Feb 7, 2012
Lake Havasu City, AZ
The stuff awenta linked in post 2 is correct, it says gas only but its wrong. Now you have to use it like the instructions say you have to mix it with diesel if you dont, yeah you will screw shit up. It's still the best stuff though.

Have you used it personally? If so what were your results... ie how much of a drop in rates or what other things did you notice? Just curious to see how it compares to the stuff I've used a few times

OregonDMAX

NOT IN OREGON, NO DURAMAX
Apr 28, 2013
Goodyear, AZ
Have you used it personally? If so what were your results... ie how much of a drop in rates or what other things did you notice? Just curious to see how it compares to the stuff I've used a few times

I used it twice now, wouldn't recommend using it excessively though. And you have to mix it 50/50 with diesel. I got all mine 1.0 closer to 0 they have held there since doing it the second time as well as smoother idle. Results seems to be different for everyone though, some say no change some say good change but go back to normal in a few days. I feel it's worth a shot.

fastpunker

adrenaline junkie
Feb 7, 2012
Lake Havasu City, AZ
Here are my results from using the BG stuff... I have used it twice in the last two years and had similar results both times. :woott:

IMG_3219.JPG

IMG_3225.JPG

Attachments

• IMG_3219.JPG
    IMG_3219.JPG
    129.6 KB · Views: 109
  • IMG_3225.JPG
    IMG_3225.JPG
    134 KB · Views: 103

Yellow Jacket

WannaBe Sled Puller
Feb 11, 2009
Waterloo, IA
Standadyne now makes an in tank cleaner, and John Deere sells an in tank cleaner (Fuel Protect Keep Clean)... Both work with good results. But ACDelco cleaner mixed in jug works like BG results above in my experience, I've had an lb7 at +6 or +7 and with another at -5, all were under +or- 2.5, but 6 were under +or- 1

Hot COCOAL

May the farce be with you
Jun 9, 2012
Standadyne now makes an in tank cleaner, and John Deere sells an in tank cleaner (Fuel Protect Keep Clean)... Both work with good results. But ACDelco cleaner mixed in jug works like BG results above in my experience, I've had an lb7 at +6 or +7 and with another at -5, all were under +or- 2.5, but 6 were under +or- 1

So, you're saying that the AC Delco stuff that has had the PN combined for gas/diesel applications, still works well and just as well as the BD stuff?

Yellow Jacket

WannaBe Sled Puller
Feb 11, 2009
Waterloo, IA
So, you're saying that the AC Delco stuff that has had the PN combined for gas/diesel applications, still works well and just as well as the BD stuff?

Yes, I've used the hell out of it, probably cleaned 7-8 trucks in the last year...only lasted on 2-3 of them, others were right back out after a couple weeks... But those were high mile lb7 injectors, can't work miracles, but seems to clean up lbz/lmm injectors nicely