best guess on my LMM damage

camcojb

Dec 10, 2007
oil pressure normal, no abnormal engine noises, but has blue smoke all the time out the exhaust, one cylinder has a dead miss, and chugging smoke and compression out the oil fill tube (pushed the dipstick tube out of the engine, haven't found it yet). Is there anything other than a hole in a piston or similar that could cause this? Can you get a hole in the piston and have no unusual engine noises? In gas deals a broken piston makes a lot of noise........... :D

Best guess what happened?

Jody

McRat

Diesel Hotrodder
Aug 2, 2006
Norco CA
www.mcratracing.com
That sucks. :(

You need to do a compression test or put a borescope down the injector hole.

High blowby is nearly a certain indicator.

My theory is that high piston temps are what allow cracking, but it's just a theory. It's odd that we melted pistons (16 of them), and only saw one that had a small crack starting.

If it were timing, like many suggest, I should have cracked a bunch, but haven't. I run a lot of timing.

camcojb

Dec 10, 2007
That sucks. :(

You need to do a compression test or put a borescope down the injector hole.

High blowby is nearly a certain indicator.

My theory is that high piston temps are what allow cracking, but it's just a theory. It's odd that we melted pistons (16 of them), and only saw one that had a small crack starting.

If it were timing, like many suggest, I should have cracked a bunch, but haven't. I run a lot of timing.

thanks Pat. I like your timing tables personally. :) Working on getting another engine, was just hoping that maybe something else could have happened that gave the same symptoms. So broken pistons can be quiet depending on how they're damaged.

Jody

sweetdiesel

That's better
Aug 6, 2006
Thailand
thanks Pat. I like your timing tables personally. :) Working on getting another engine, was just hoping that maybe something else could have happened that gave the same symptoms. So broken pistons can be quiet depending on how they're damaged.

Jody

I blew holes in 2 pistons and could barely hear anything...just lots of blue smoke and oil coming out the PVC rerought hose

Sorry to hear about your motor:(

camcojb

Dec 10, 2007
I blew holes in 2 pistons and could barely hear anything...just lots of blue smoke and oil coming out the PVC rerought hose

Sorry to hear about your motor:(

yep, my symptoms exactly. Got a line on a stock motor, no confirmation yet. Keep this one for a build later on. Now I need to figure out why it happened so it doesn't do it again. Been running this tune for 14000 miles with no problems until now.

Jody

LBZrcks

Jun 2, 2007
SoCal
What were the conditions when it broke? regular driving/ on it etc.

Blowing a intercooler boot is way more dramatic then breaking a piston.

jrad12381

May 12, 2008
Reno, NV
Jody sorry to hear that, I am terrafied of this happening with my truck. Let me know if you need any help yanking that thing. I can always run down to sac, and give you a hand, but probably wont be a ton of help beside some extra hands and man power.

slowlmm

Mar 2, 2008
so cal
What were the conditions when it broke? regular driving/ on it etc.

Blowing a intercooler boot is way more dramatic then breaking a piston.

x2

Sorry jody welcome to the club:( When mine blew just like simon you cant really tell besides the smoke and rough idle. Hope you get it back up and running soon let me know if you need any help Tommy :)

camcojb

Dec 10, 2007
was this just on tunning and mild modifications?

tuning, water meth, stock engine and turbo

Hole in piston for sure.

Sorry Jody, I wondered when yours was gonna happen after seeing your track times. WHats you actual mileage on your truck?

I have 17K miles on the engine.

Ack, sorry to hear Jody. :(

Im scared about mine... thats why I havent pushed it any further with mods or more power until I have the funds to build.... Im at just over 19k miles.

thanks, timing is bad for this but I knew the risks.
X2, how many miles on the motor and how many at that horsepower?

17K with 14K on this tune.

vortecfcar

No longer a member
Jun 28, 2007
I've been nervous about the future of your motor since the last time we talked. I was hoping it would hang on by the grace of god (or maybe the H20/meth), but no luck.

Another statistic pointing to limited life time at the 500+ level.

Anyway, you're clearly no stranger to the game. Wish you the best on getting it back up and running :)

Nick

camcojb

Dec 10, 2007
I've been nervous about the future of your motor since the last time we talked. I was hoping it would hang on by the grace of god (or maybe the H20/meth), but no luck.

Another statistic pointing to limited life time at the 500+ level.

Anyway, you're clearly no stranger to the game. Wish you the best on getting it back up and running :)

Nick

thanks again. I don't think I was running too much timing or too much boost necessarily as many run more of both without issues. I think it was a combo of all of the above, and the power level is just too high and I found the weak link (stock pistons). For now I'm just going to tame the thing down until I can do a built motor.