Question: Best Battery???

Dirtymaxxx

Jan 31, 2011
Watertown NY
So I was starting to notice last year that is was taking longer and longer for my glo-plug indicator to go off...and I know it wasnt from weather...Well now I've had my truck sitting inside (I live in the SALT belt, wait i mean snow belt) for a couple months...My batteries are dead....I've started up 4 times but they have just died....ANYWAYS...my question is what are the best batteries to get? thinking Optima's....:confused:

rmallen30

Aug 12, 2009
hillsboro ohio
i use a battery tender jr they sell them at all atv and motorcycle shops any time the truck sets i put it on that and always fully charged they are like 29 dol i still have org batt. in my 04 and it sits prob 8 months out of the year lol

ripmf666

Sep 20, 2006
Wentzville Mo
I just installed a Red top 800cca in mine. It was colder last year and my factory acdelco 770cca lasted fine as a single. In Nov I had to replace it and went for another Gm and they no longer sell 770 now only 670 well it only holds up for 3 days and remote start you have to go out and start with key and turns over slow. you go 5 days it in done dead. All last went my old 770 that came in the truck would be parked for 2 weeks and start right up. So we will see how this Red too does.

Dirtymaxxx

Jan 31, 2011
Watertown NY
those were what i was looking at the red tops....my gf is buying them for me with her tax money...I think she's buttering me up for something...I had mentioned a couple months ago she could drive it this summer..(I bought a new toy to DD) I dont think she forgot....LMAO :why-me:

ripmf666

Sep 20, 2006
Wentzville Mo
those were what i was looking at the red tops....my gf is buying them for me with her tax money...I think she's buttering me up for something...I had mentioned a couple months ago she could drive it this summer..(I bought a new toy to DD) I dont think she forgot....LMAO :why-me:

I was at Sam's club and the Red tops were 139 ea there. Went to Napa looking for a Deka but you can not find Deka's out here in KCMO so they had a Red top there and I laughed at what they wanted for it 189. He said I will sell you the Red top I said nope I can get it at Sams club for 139 and it doesnt have a dirty top he came down to 119 after taxes and core it was 140 out the door.

duratothemax

<--- slippery roads
Aug 28, 2006
Wyoming
if you have the money, get odyssey's.

If not, Ive had great luck with the generic "advance auto gold" batteries. You can get the "group 34/78" batteries that have both top and side post terminals. They also have more cca's than the standard group 78 batteries that advance auto 'specs' for the duramax, and they are the same price as well.

optimas are overrated IMO.

Chevy1925

don't know sh!t about IFS
Staff member
Oct 21, 2009
Phoenix Az
if you have the money, get odyssey's.

If not, Ive had great luck with the generic "advance auto gold" batteries. You can get the "group 34/78" batteries that have both top and side post terminals. They also have more cca's than the standard group 78 batteries that advance auto 'specs' for the duramax, and they are the same price as well.

optimas are overrated IMO.

x2 i only run them because i use to get them free. teh DPS cars we had ran them in every car. you could maybe get 6 months out of an optima before it was shot (hot weather, cold weather, nice weather didnt matter). Started puttin in NAPA gold batteries and they would last a year or more easy. the officers like those :D. then there is my truck where after 8 years i finally had to replace the original optimas my dad put in the truck 6 months after he got it. Im on a single optima now and after 4 days of sitting, it does not want to crank. Ill be lookin at a different battery after im out of my optima stock lol (have three batteries left to switch out should one die in the truck)

MACKIN

Smell My Finger...
Aug 14, 2006
Connecticut
I buy Interstate batteries for my Duramax.

I don't care at all for the POS Advanced or Auto-Zone batteries. I bought one for my Jeep a year ago from Advanced and when it was below zero out I had to jump my Jeep to get it started! POS

ripmf666

Sep 20, 2006
Wentzville Mo
I buy Interstate batteries for my Duramax.

I don't care at all for the POS Advanced or Auto-Zone batteries. I bought one for my Jeep a year ago from Advanced and when it was below zero out I had to jump my Jeep to get it started! POS

Interstate is who makes the optimas thats why I went with it since I could not get a Deka out here. If this one gives me trouble I will return it and go buy a Cat battery from a Cat dealer.

403turbo

<--It's whats for dinner!
Aug 3, 2009
DPRNY
The last couple time I have been in the local parts places...autozone and advanced I have seen guys returning Red Tops for warranty replacement. I also work with a guy that had one die after less than a year. Seems to be a trend with the red tops.

I run two of the group 34/78 duralast gold batteries. They have been good for 3 years now. With 1600 CCA on tap she is either going to start or melt.....:rofl:

MACKIN

Smell My Finger...
Aug 14, 2006
Connecticut
Interstate is who makes the optimas thats why I went with it since I could not get a Deka out here. If this one gives me trouble I will return it and go buy a Cat battery from a Cat dealer.

I wouldn't doubt that I also heard Interstate makes Die-Hard Batteries also. One thing is for certain there are only so many manufactures (factory lines) that make batteries and I'm sure there is more re-labeling and build specs going on then actual BRAND manufactures.

I'd stay away from the auto-chain big box store batteries myself.

403turbo

<--It's whats for dinner!
Aug 3, 2009
DPRNY
I did a little looking...and if the interwebs are to be believed Johnson Controls is actually who makes Duralast and Die Hard and Interstate..and Optima. Obviously the Optima are a different technology (AGM) but quality control is usually similar across multiple products made by the same company.

Not sure if its accurate...but I found it here..http://bestbatterytips.com/tags/who-makes-die-hard-batteries/

and Optima is owned directly by Johnson Controls.

MACKIN

Smell My Finger...
Aug 14, 2006
Connecticut
More info

Most auto batteries are made by just three manufacturers, Delphi, Exide, and Johnson Controls Industries. Each makes batteries sold under several different brand names. Delphi makes ACDelco and some EverStart (Wal-Mart) models. Exide makes Champion, Exide, Napa, and some EverStart batteries. Johnson Controls makes Diehard (Sears), Duralast (AutoZone), Interstate, Kirkland (Costco), Motorcraft (Ford), and some EverStarts.

MACKIN

Smell My Finger...
Aug 14, 2006
Connecticut
But,

I'm sure that there is only three all batteries are built to different specifications. Shall we atleast hope. :D

In reality it's a crap shoot pick one you've had good experience with. I bought the best (CCA) 7 year Interstates for just under $110 each.

Last edited: